Not losing weight but eating to

Hello,

I have been stuck at my current weight of 185 for about 4 weeks now. I am about 5'8. I eat 2000 calories a day about mostly protein with complex carbs and little fat. I also take creatine mono.

I understand body composition can change, but I am not even losing any fat(that I can see). I want to lose as much body fat as possible then start bulking. I should be losing at least 2 pounds a week at 2k calories a day right?

Replies

• Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    lower your calories for 2 weeks. play with the numbers of calories.

have u tried calorie cycling? ex. 1500 by monday, 1800 by tuesday, 1600 by wednesday.

anyway what is your height?? coz if your petite youre gonna have to lower your calories.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    I have a question for your question. Why low fat? Isn't fat essential for the body?
  • Successk
    Successk Posts: 2 Member
    I'm male & 5'8. I eat mostly healthy fats....nuts, salmon, etc.
  • I agree with the calorie cycling. Also, in my experience eating a cup of quaker oatmeal every other day helped me get to my goal the first time. The real stuff not the packets. Half water. Half milk. I remember being at a horrible plateau , and i started eating that, and it got me out of it. Also, is very nutritious.
  • revolutionchick
    revolutionchick Posts: 21 Member
    What are you doing for cardio and strength training? Maybe try to increase your workouts while adjusting your calories?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    You are a male at 185. If you plan of bulking I am assuming you are lifting now.

You should assess your goals. Find your BMR and TDEE. It just might not really be feasible.
    Do you have any idea what your body fat % is?
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Eating 2000 calories is an awful lot if you are trying to lose weight. It all depends on how many calories you are burning a day through exercise though. If you are burning between 800-1000 calories a day exercising, then I'd assume you should be losing weight because that is a calorie deficit.

For me though, my endocrinologist doesn't think I will lose weight eating 1400 calories. He thinks I will only lose eating 1200 which is impossible for me. If I eat 2000 calories a day, I start to gain weight.

I'd try lowering your calories to 1700 a day and see what happens from there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Eating 2000 calories is an awful lot if you are trying to lose weight. It all depends on how many calories you are burning a day through exercise though. If you are burning between 800-1000 calories a day exercising, then I'd assume you should be losing weight because that is a calorie deficit.

For me though, my endocrinologist doesn't think I will lose weight eating 1400 calories. He thinks I will only lose eating 1200 which is impossible for me. If I eat 2000 calories a day, I start to gain weight.

I'd try lowering your calories to 1700 a day and see what happens from there.

The OP is a male, which we require more calories (I am losing weight at 2400 calories). Also, if you are active enough, you can easily eat 1700 calories or more and still lose weight. In fact, most of the women I know eat 1700-2100 calories. Even see the thread below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

OP, what is your full workout program? Also, do you use a food scale to measure foods?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    What sort of exercise program are you doing? How carefully are you measuring your food? Depending on your activity level 2000 calories a day sounds reasonable. Have you taken measurements? Weight is not a very helpful measure of progress.