Eat like a Hobbit, kind of

Hobbits enjoy at least seven meals a day, not including snacks,[5] when they can get them - breakfast, (arguably) second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, tea, dinner and later, supper. They like simple food such as bread, meat, potatoes, and cheese, have a passion for mushrooms, and also like to drink ale and beer, often in inns — not unlike the English countryfolk, who were Tolkien's inspiration.

-wikipedia

At least follow their schedule, not their menu.

Replies

• Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Hobbits enjoy at least seven meals a day, not including snacks,[5] when they can get them - breakfast, (arguably) second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, tea, dinner and later, supper. They like simple food such as bread, meat, potatoes, and cheese, have a passion for mushrooms, and also like to drink ale and beer, often in inns — not unlike the English countryfolk, who were Tolkien's inspiration.

-wikipedia

At least follow their schedule, not their menu.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Well, I know I'm off to the tavern for beer, bread, and potatoes! Will 7:30 be ok? Off for my walk first.

cm
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    This is actually wonderful advice (the times, not the food types). The body reacts not only to how much you eat, but to how often you eat. If you eat small servings every two hours or so, your body will basically see that as a constant fuel flow, and the result will be your metabolism working throughout the day. Conversly if you eat the same amount of food, all in one sitting, then don't eat again all day, your body will try to save the energy you consume by storing the extra food as fat.
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    Hmm, I never really thought about it like that, but it makes sense.
    Its wierd when you're dealing with the human body because you've got your brain ith its own mind, the one we're conscious of and the body is always treated separately... but it's almost as if it has its own mind too, one that we're not really connected to. Ahh...
  • banks1850
    You said it nbuehrmann!

I don't know why my body likes salt at night, I'm sure their is a chemical reason for it, or a psychological one, but I don't know what it is. All I know is that if I wasn't paying attention, I could go without eating all morning and half way through the afternoon, and not feel it. But when 7:00 pm rolls around, my body wants buttered popcorn and nachos and buffalo wings baaaad!!!!

Ironically, I have always been a morning person (which, one would think, would cause me to want food in the morning, right?), always been an athelete, and never really ate right up until about 6 years ago. Personally I think I just messed my body up so bad in college with the drinkin and smokin that it's getting some payback now! :D
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    That's so true, around 7:00 p.m., I start really feeling like popcorn with cheese grated on top. Last night, I saved my desert of honey and a squeeze of lemon on pear slices and had that instead when I got the 7:00 p.m. munchies. It helped.
  • banks1850
    yeah, at night I usually do the gum thing, sugar free hot chocolate, whole wheat pretzels, or some sunflower seeds (in the shell, the long it takes to eat em, the better).