I have flat feet .. help please.

Options
I have had flat feet well forever, but lately I have been having more issues. Going on the elliptical for example is pretty much out due to the pain involved.

I have tried Dr Scholls off the shelf orthotics and Dr Scholls custom orthotics .. and no relief.

I am looking for tips on what I can do about this ?

Going to see a podiatrist tomorrow. But wanted to find out what others are doing for this problem.

Replies

• celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe a physical therapist can give you ideas? Not sure - I have opposite problem with high arches. Good luck!
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    me, too. ended up with plantar fasciitis. these are tiny microscopic tears in the plantar fascia tendon. you limp getting up every morning until the tendon stretches back out. problem is it's hard to heal because you constantly reinjure it daily. not sure if that is your particular dilemma. my podiatrist recommended arch supports. she had some there I could stand to wear that were approx. $25. try those first. then I had cortisone injections, then PT. RICE therapy. R est, I ce, C ompression, E levation. try to stay off the foot as much as possible. I did order online a foot brace, which was pretty inexpensive, that keeps your foot flat all night and doesn't allow it to naturally hang down from gravity. that way the tendon heals in the position that it would be in when walking. if that is your problem, NOTE: this is something that takes about 1 yr to heal. it is a real process worth working at. it can be healed. found an informative website, AIDMYPLANTAR.COM that's where I got my boot. my therapist said to avoid surgery if at all possible. you end up in the long run with arthritis in the foot.
    best bet, probably get arch supports. oh, the other people who suffer from this, people with high arches. go figure! :noway:
    hope this helps!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Went to a podiatrist today ... and my feet are messed. Well my right foot anyways. So ... I will be the proud owner of orthotics in a few weeks. So .. hope that they help.

Thanks for your replies.
  • javadazed
    javadazed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi dealing with similar issues...cycling and pool workouts have been the best so far. Just ordered an online brace, will let you know if it helps. Mine is pretty bad, can't walk or stand of extended periods of time. Good luck :bigsmile:
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Flat feet and alternatively, high arches, are caused by a muscle imbalance between your tibialis anterior and peroneus (no guarantee on spelling there) muscles. While I can't recall which is which without looking it up (hey, it's 1am), I want to say your tib anterior is overpowering the peroneus, causing the arch to drop (high arch would be the opposite, unless I'm remembering it backwards). Massage therapy (rolfing or structural bodywork) and/or yoga to help lengthen the stronger muscle while physical therapy/exercise to strengthen the weaker muscle should help you. It's possible, but not real likely, that you could find a personal trainer that knows structure well enough to help you balance those muscles.
    Orthodics are a band-aid and address only the symptom without correcting the actual cause. Fix the imbalance and you won't need them.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I second the personal trainer. But make sure they really know what they are talking about. My flat feet and weak ankles have caused really bad muscular imbalances. My glutes and hammies are weaker than they should be, and they don't activate as easily. Also I find that orthotics hurt your knees once you start out wearing them. It takes some getting used to but they have to adjust to pointing forward rather than inward relative to the feet.

edit: as for arch therapy, my trainer suggested to lay a small towel or pillowcase on the floor and scrunch it up using only your toes. It will help strengthen your arch.
  • charlietruck
    charlietruck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I see you went to the doctor. I've got plantar fascitis, I never got inserts from the doctor though (holy crap they're expensive) ---

anyways, I got the superfeet black insoles from here: http://www.theinsolestore.com/orthotic-arch-supports/flat-feet-orthotic-arch-supports.html

of course there's other options but my feet have never been quite as happy as they were with those.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    (holy crap they're expensive) ---

Yes .. they are. Paid $525 dollars for the orthotics, they better work at this point.