Ditching personal trainer?

Options
signed up for the gym 3 weeks ago, and i also signed up for personal training. it all happened too fast and to be hoenst, i think i was too gullible because i didnt think twice after i went for my fitness assessment. next thing i know... i was signing to pay 149$ a month for 12 months which comes to around 70-80 per session (i have 24 altogether). but i also did feel like personal training would give me some guidance given that i have never worked out/been to the gym before. my goal is to really build my *kitten* and just strengthen up. my PT has showed me the basics and i feel like i can continue on without him and make my own plans through the internet.

if i cancel now,do you think they will still make me make those monthly payments for the next 11 months?? i dont think i signed a contract.... ?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You have to ask them. You have to be assertive with how you talk to them about it. If you act like you are unsure and nervous, they will walk all over you and say you have to keep paying. Stand tall and talk clearly and firmly and they are far more likely to give you a break. It is often that people get pushed around when they don't assert themselves.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I saw another thread like this- might be worth trying to do a search for it. I think the heading was the name of the gym chain but can't remember which one- sorry!!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Usually if you agree to pay that per month you signed a contract. They should have given you a copy when you signed things. Most of the commercial big chain gyms have a 3 business day cancellation policy, after that it's a cancellation fee to cancel before your contract is over. Also, if it's a year there's usually a 30 day notice to cancel and it won't cancel automatically after your year is up but will bill you month to month. Look at the paperwork they gave you or go and talk to someone at the desk where they can pull up your information.

If you're stuck, you may find that a personal trainer can be immensely helpful. Make sure the trainer you're working with is certified (look for ACSM, NASM, or ACE certifications as those are reputable organizations that don't require just a weekend class to get certified). If you find that your trainer and you don't mesh well together, request another one. The key to having a good trainer is being able to work well together and having one that knows what they're talking about. You don't want a trainer that doesn't believe in running if your main goal is to run a marathon you know?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Thats how they got me and I ended up paying 105 dollars a month for six months. I did not learn anything until I signed up for a fitness class at my college. Waste of money and the personal trainer that I did have was totally unprofessional (eventually fired) . You have to be assertive and lowball them or they will totally take advantage. Its kind of like buying a car, know what you want and ballpark it around what you can really afford. Maybe you can cancel the credit card they have on file and cancel the contract?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    You don't think you signed a contract?

I don't understand.

Tell them you will no longer be utilizing their personal trainer and will no longer be paying $149 a month. If they say you signed a contract, ask to be presented with a copy. If they can't produce it, you don't have a contract. If they do produce it, read the contract. AND NEXT TIME READ IT FIRST!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but if you did indeed sign a contract and seem locked in, you might go to Yelp and describe the situation briefly but bluntly. I've had a couple of businesses back down from conflicts like that in exchange for removing the Yelp review.
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help guys!