Joining a gym... Just before New Years?

Options
Soo.. If I join a gym like 2 - 3 weeks before the New Years, then I am assuming the gyms will be full of 'New Years Resolutioners". Am I really going to have gym equipment to use when I get there? I have 2 young kids to put in their daycare, so every min wasted waiting for anything to use is that much less time I have to use it because they have a daycare time limit. Am I better off waiting until Feb - Mar to join, when most resolutioners slow down/give up. Or since I am a stay at home, the gyms should be pretty empty-ish during the early day?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    depends on the gym- I'm moving this month and will be starting a new gym as well- I'm not looking forward to it- but one must do what one has to.

I didn't have to many issues- the first week is pretty knarly but after that it evens out- people fall into a rhythm and that's that.

I think the other thing is if you can get in there outside of the 5 PM- 7 PM range- you'll be a lot better off.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    To be honest invest in a set of free weights and wait for February when all the Resolutioners start to thin out to get serious sets in when more space opens up. The gym I goto which is pretty jammed between 5-8 all year its a mad house at new years though its a big box gym so I know to expect that. Nothing like having to stand outside at 6am to avoid having to deal people hog machines/benches on cell phones doing nothing. At the start of February it starts to file down to daily/hardcore members.

I'd recommending stoping by or taking a tour around what time you planning to go this week to get an idea on how it'll be be when everything dies down.