Couch to 5K!

Is anyone else doing C25K? How's it going for you? I was doing pretty good for the first few weeks but now I can't seem to get through Week 4.

Has this program worked for anyone? Could you really run a 5k at the end of the 9 weeks?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Took me about twelve weeks to complete and I'm doing about 29 minutes for a 5K now, although I've moved up to 10K distance as my objective.

As I recall week 5 is the big psychological barrier as the length of the continuous runs increases significantly, but it's psychological rather than physical.

The reason I took a bit longer was in part due to scheduling, one week I just couldn't get the time in so I stepped back a week to consolidate the following week. I also took a week off to avoid an injury.
  • sarah_p75
    sarah_p75 Posts: 4 Member
    I've just started week 7. My last run was 25 minutes and i done it! I am so pleased with myself. I really got stuck at the run for 3 mins then 5 min runs. Is that week 4? I was stuck there for over a fortnight! Keep at it, you can do it.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Yup! I'm doing Week 6 Day 3 today. I found week 4 a bit of a step up from week 3 but then when I made myself run really slowly for the 5 minute bursts it got a lot easier. If you're finding it hard then slow down and it really does get easier.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    I started it back in July. I went at my own pace and did some weeks twice. When I first started it the minute runs would kill me.Now I am running about 5 miles 3 times a week. I am also 58 years old. If I can do it anyone can.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Bump - will check this interesting thread later as investigating C25K just now with view to shaking things up after the festive holidays.
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    I've just started week 7. My last run was 25 minutes and i done it! I am so pleased with myself. I really got stuck at the run for 3 mins then 5 min runs. Is that week 4? I was stuck there for over a fortnight! Keep at it, you can do it.

Yes! That's the week I'm at. I'm getting a little discouraged but it seems like most of the feedback about the program is positive so I'll keep at it
  • fragileelegance
    Yup! I'm doing Week 6 Day 3 today. I found week 4 a bit of a step up from week 3 but then when I made myself run really slowly for the 5 minute bursts it got a lot easier. If you're finding it hard then slow down and it really does get easier.

I didn't think about that, maybe I should slow down. I'm running at the 7.0 speed. Did you ever repeat weeks? I feel like I don't want to move on until I get week 4 down.
  • fragileelegance
    I started it back in July. I went at my own pace and did some weeks twice. When I first started it the minute runs would kill me.Now I am running about 5 miles 3 times a week. I am also 58 years old. If I can do it anyone can.

Awesome, you're my inspiration!
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    I'm on week 4, day 2. Going from running 3 minutes to 5 minutes is a bit tough. Keep at it!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member

I didn't think about that, maybe I should slow down. I'm running at the 7.0 speed. Did you ever repeat weeks? I feel like I don't want to move on until I get week 4 down.

I'm not sure what 7.0 means, cos if that's miles per hour then you are going faster than my car can handle on cold mornings! One thing I've read a few times is that if you think you could run slower then you are going too fast. A couple of years ago I fancied myself a bit of a runner but I couldn't last for long going at the pace that I wanted to, and would always give up. Now that I aim to go slowly I can push myself to continue for a much longer distance without getting so puffed that it's impossible to keep going. Good luck, and keep at it!

PS by going really slowly today I was able to run for 30 minutes straight, which even three weeks ago seemed a long long way off.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    Just keep repeating the weeks until you "graduate" to the next level. Not everyone makes the whole program in nine weeks. It's a process.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member

You also on a treadmill ? I am just starting week 7 , think its getting to the point where it is mind over matter , I walk at 5.5 speed for warm up , walk at 6-6.5 and run now at 8.5
    When I'm finding it hard I slow it down.
    Normally have to keep telling myself I can do it. Also are you drinking water during your runs ? Do you eat well a couple of hours before? I found that I run better if I have had dinner, find it so hard first thing in the morning.