Setting your goals... long term vs short term?

Options
Lets say you got 100+ to lose. Should you set your goal to that? Or should you set it lets say 30 below what you are now, and then when you hit that, set it to another 30 etc. Is there any difference?

Do you think setting a closer goal is better than a larger goal? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you should set your goal weight to where you want to be as n person with quite a bit of extra weight it should fly off until you get close to your ideal weight.

But make short term goals by yourself that you want to accomplish.

as the weight starts flying off make sure to readjust your calorie needs every now and again.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged about the parts very far in the future. I mean, I know the results will come, but I don't like seeing them now so much, bugging me, lol. There's nothing more I can do about them right now.

Mine are 'extra' lbs that I have to guess at, so that's also why I don't show them in my goal. I have a main goal that is close enough/short term enough that I use it. Then I'll know better how many more lbs I want to lose when I'm closer. Mine are within 10 lbs of each other, but the thought process is probably the same :) Those possible 10 lbs are pretty far away time-wise for me. I don't like bothering with them now :D
  • Cammy_girl
    Cammy_girl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    On MFP I have put my ultimate goal. I don't know if it's achievable for my, but I'll give it a go! I have also broken down my goal into 'mini' goals, so I don't get discouraged - every 5kg or so
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to lose 90 pounds. Of course that seemed overwhelming in the beginning. My first goal was to get under 200 pounds, then to move from obese to overweight BMI, then to move from overweight to normal BMI. Now my final goal is to get to my goal weight, and with 33 pounds to go, it doesn't feel as overwhelming. Accepting that the whole thing is going to take a long time helps.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the replies.

Aside from the actual goal seeming impossible or what not, is setting a smaller one vs a larger one in MFP's settings, make much of a difference? i.e. deficiency wise or anything? Or is it pretty much about the same?