Shorties, when to buy clothes? How many lbs to drop a size?

Options
Hello all!

I have lost 18 lbs and I haven't bought any new clothes since I was pregnant (2009). Some of my clothes feel loose but many are still tight in places. I went for the first time in over 4 years to try on dresses last week, and I was still the same size I have been wearing for 3 years. I would have thought on a 5 foot 1.5 inch tall girl, 18 lbs (16 lbs last week when I tried on the dresses) would have made at least 1 size difference. I still wanna lose about 10 more lbs but I would have thought I would have gotten a little smaller by now lol!

What is your experience with how many pounds you have to lose to drop a size or sizes? Like, I am VISIBLY thinner in the mirror - I can see it, but I haven't lost any clothing sizes. anyone have a clue what is up? In my experience, gaining weight has always been more visible on me as a short girl, whereas my taller friends could put on the same amount of weight, and since it was distributed over a larger area, they still looked fine; I had thought that LOSING weight would work the same way.

what are your experiences?

Thanks
Voodoo Lady

Replies

• VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just went onto http://www.mybodygallery.com/ and put in my height, weight, and age, and I don't look ANYTHING like these ladies. If I looked like, that, I'd be on maintenance! But I don't. Is it possible that I just have a funny shape? Gee, I'd have to lose 15 more pounds to look like that. I got me a butt and some hips lol. I wonder if my shape is what is keeping me from losing a size.

I looked at the weight group 10 pounds above me, and I look like that.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    you could look like that but not actually see it, I mean anorexics 'see' themselves as fat whilst in reality they are some 20lbs underweight.

I don't see anything different, but I seem to fit into my clothes better (just shows I was wearing them too tight before). Having said that I measure myself regularly (I sew for myself) and I have lost about 3in from my bottom and 3 from my waist, so even though I have not changed sizes as such there has been fat movement :-)
  • nkristolaitis
    Options
    I have to lose quite a bit of weight before dropping down a pant size because of my body shape. I have hips and a butt, no matter how much I weigh. I need to lose over 20lbs before going down a size.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,024 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and have wondered about the 13 pounds that I've lost. Where did it come from? I don't notice it anywhere when I look in the mirror. I haven't been shopping at the lower weight yet, though. The only big difference I've noticed is that it is much easier to put on my bras and they don't become unsnapped anymore during the day. Also, some of my clothes fit much more comfortably. Actually I am soo happy about those 3 things!!!
    Yes, it seems to me that people even my height that are at the same weight are in a smaller size. Hmmm. I wonder if that is true?
    I am a size Pettite 14 in jeans and skirts. 140 pounds.
    Linda
  • LLT57
    LLT57 Posts: 21
    Options
    I find the heavier I am the more weight i have to lose to fit into the next dress size down. I have to lose between 30 to 40lbs to go from a UK size 18 to 16. However, the smaller I become I don't need to lose as much weight to get to next dress size down.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also have noticed I am thinner and I am not in a smaller size either. I assume I was wearing my clothes too tight before and now they fit...lol I figure another 10 pounds and I might be able to buy smaller sizes.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and i've lost 12lbs since joining MFP. However at one point I was 30lbs heavier, and I'm only one dress size down from then, I seem to just fit clothes better now. I was Uk size 14 at 172lbs, and at 142 I'm just getting size 12's to be loose. Size 10 in some places on top half. I hold weight evenly everywhere so I honestly think it could be another -15before I drop another size properly.
    I'm hoping that if my bodyfat % lowers I wont care about size. I too see some girls my height/weight/ and size and they look so much better! I think shorties need to focus on composition and shape much more x
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I've lost 18lbs. My dress size/top size has gone from UK12 to UK10 just recently but I'm still a UK12 in trousers. My waist is a UK10 but unfortunately my thighs and hips are taking their sweet time catching up so, my trousers now all look funny on me!!!!!

I have 20lbs to go and I think I'm hoping I'll be a UK8-10 by then. I'm pretty sure I was wearing a UK12 when really I should have been in a UK14 (DENIAL!!!!!)

I also started weight/strength training about 8weeks ago and have noticed a massive difference since then. I think if I was only doing Cardio I'd still be squeezing into a 12
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think the more important numbers to look at are your circumferences. Hips, waist, thigh, etc.
    When I get clothes, I don't really care what size they say they are, because different companies to sizes differently, and sizes have changed over time.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft tall too! I started at 188 with a size 16 or 18 pant size depending on where it was from, what style it was, etc. I am now 155 lbs, in a size 12 (but I have a couple of pants that are size 10 too ) - and again it depends on the style and what store they are from. It also depends on what I eat on any given day (i.e too much salt and I am bloated). Honestly I was hoping that I would lose more than one bra size too, but alas no.

Try some weights, see if that helps tone things a little more - a lb is a lb, but muscle is leaner, and that might help things. We all have different body types, and where one person loses, another loses in a different place. I have belly, and even when I was thin, I had a belly - where another person may have bigger hips. Just keep doing what you are doing - get healthy, eat right, exercise - and it will happen eventually.
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It took me 30 pounds to lose one size. I went from a loose US 20 to a tight 16. It all depends on the brands for me. I was losing in my waist but only a smidge on my belly.
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds and I'm down from a 16 to a 10. I'm 5'3". I carry most of my weight in my stomach.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    I put on 30lbs and went up two dress sizes. I've lost half of that now...but I haven't dropped a dress size yet. Weird! Oh well. It'll happen eventually.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I find the heavier I am the more weight i have to lose to fit into the next dress size down. I have to lose between 30 to 40lbs to go from a UK size 18 to 16. However, the smaller I become I don't need to lose as much weight to get to next dress size down.

really, I've lost no where near that and I drop from an 18 to a 16 in tops, I was already an 16 in bottoms. I suppose it is all down to body shape,
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I think the more important numbers to look at are your circumferences. Hips, waist, thigh, etc.
    ...different companies to sizes differently, and sizes have changed over time.

^^ This.
    The scale doesn't matter.
    After a year of weight training, I'm about the same weight, but now my clothes are way looser. When I started lifting, I was about close to having to go up 1 size, but I just wouldn't do it, so I hit the gym instead. Now, I'm about ready to go down 1 size, BUT the scale says I weigh the same.
    Another difference w/ the weight training, I can eat so much more food now and still not gain weight.

Think about reading/learning about body REcomposition. I don't think you need to lose another pound, but you may want to reduce your body fat and sculpt and tone so you can see your abs instead of the muffin top above your jeans waistband.

I'm 4'11" and depending on what company/fit, I'm a size 2 in Old Navy and XXS in Land's End (Yes, I called them on their "vanity sizing").
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Check out this post.
    She looks better in the 2nd pic, even though she's the same weight.

lift something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/948167-same-weight-different-body-pic
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5. I lost 13 pounds and went from not being able to wear a size 14(US) but still a little loose in a 16 to swimming in a 16. I now can fit a 12 but it's a little snug for my liking.
  • ladybhugg
    Options
    At 4'9" I hear you. I have lost weight and gained muscle, but my waist hasn't changed yet! It's the last place I loose. My mom and I are working out together, and she lost on the waist right away, but not the hips. It will be by your body type. look at your arms and legs, they will show the weight lose.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' & have lost 37lbs thus far. Was a size 13 US jeans, now I'm a snug size 6. I'm guessing a comfortable size 7. It all depends on brands. Every brand is different. At 167lbs size 13, at 150lbs size 9, at 130lbs almost size 6. I'm hoping at 125lbs I can fit into size 6 comfortably.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like to tell my clients (I'm a Personal Trainer) that weight- training is KEY to changes in your body! Weight training is like shrink- wrapping your body in that you become much tighter. This is a change (along with a proper diet) that will happen much faster than simply dieting and cardio alone.

I'm 5'1" and my body's weight is between 122 to 124, BF around 22 - 24 and the sizes I have vary from XS and M and size 2 to size 7 in pants. It really depends on the cut or the manufacturer.

The take away on this is not to focus on sizing but on fit and if you're not weight training now, start. If you are weight training, increase your weights.:smile: