Foods that reduce nausea

Options
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I started taking a new medication that makes me incredibly nauseous when I eat. So much so, that I didn't eat dinner last night because I was too worried about feeling sick.

Does anyone know any good ways of reducing this?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ginger is great for nausea. When I have issues with a medicine, I have ginger tea. If I don't have ginger tea, I will make green tea and mince some ginger in it. Ginger ale obviously helps too, but make sure it's made with real ginger.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Ginger. You can actually get it in a supplement/capsule form too.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant lemon drops helped.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Peppermint is good for settling a stomach as well as ginger. I drink peppermint tea if I eat too much. Fennel is also good for nausea.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I echo the ginger recommendations - it helps loads. I also suck a strong mint to help with nausea.
  • yixzy
    yixzy Posts: 3
    Options
    I have stomach problems which give me near chronic nausea. What people have said is good, ginger is a good anti-nausea food. Ginger biscuits are really good, just nibble on them slowly - the act of nibbling sometimes helps distract as well!

Sometimes I find drinking sparkling water or another "fizzy" drink helps - I think this is because it helps me get rid of any exess gas I have that might be making me feel worse!

If you are feeling nauseous and worrying about not being able to eat, just try and eat what you can when you can. Don't bother too much about the nutrient side of it, because the new-med nausea will pass and you'll be able to get back on track soon. I tend to have plain pasta with a bit of salt and pepper when I am not feeling up to much food, or buttered toast etc...not the most healthy food but, it's fuel, it gets you through till you can face something "proper".
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea, boiled ginger, ginger powder ...seriously, try ginger.
    Saltines or dry toast always help me, similar to white rice or other bland foods. Pretzels, potatoes.
    Soup broth?
    Cereal, rice cakes, frozen yogurt bars, etc.
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ginger helps, so does mint tea
    but the thing I have found that helps me most with nausea is salt. Salty crisps, pretzels - anything salty!!
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ginger pills and ginger ale