Where to put in extra calories.

Options
I reached my target weight a few weeks ago and decided to focus on strength as opposed to cardio exercises, thinking it would slow my weight loss automatically. However, I've lost an extra 3lb since then which is quite fast (I think!) given I now weigh 8st 4lb.

I've really grown to love my exercise regime. I feel stronger, more relaxed, I sleep better. So I think the best way to stop me from losing is to eat a few more calories. MFP has changed my net calorie allowance from 1200 to 1550, so I have an extra 350 cals, which is like a whole meal to me!

I was quite comfortable on the 1200 goal, and I don't want to end up eating all the extra calories as sugar. How did you guys slip more calories into your diet?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A large glass of milk has almost 200 calories. Orange juice. Cheese.

I find a snack of two figs or a handful of nuts very satisfying and both have good nutrition.

I added some bread back into my diet - I had almost dropped it. Two slices of toast is a few hundred calories.

Basically anything you can build a cuisine around - rice, grains, beans, dairy, nuts, figs/dates - has a lot of calories and good nutrition in a very dense form.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I started adding 1 scoop of cellucor protein (120-130 calories) to my morning oatmeal.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A large glass of milk has almost 200 calories. Orange juice. Cheese.

I find a snack of two figs or a handful of nuts very satisfying and both have good nutrition.

I added some bread back into my diet - I had almost dropped it. Two slices of toast is a few hundred calories.

Basically anything you can build a cuisine around - rice, grains, beans, dairy, nuts, figs/dates - has a lot of calories and good nutrition in a very dense form.

Thanks for the advice. It is nice to have a little more breathing space. and I do miss cheese...
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    nuts
    butter on your vegetables
    olives
    coconut oil by the spoon
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!
  • patalves
    Options
    Cheese ! Eat all the cheese.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Almond butter.... mmmm.....
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've been "maintaining" for about a year now. I just kept adding calories each day until I stopped losing weight. (I've settled on an extra 500 or so and I always eat back my exercise calories.) I added a piece of toast and juice at breakfast, a cliff bar, powerbar, or something else as an afternoon snack, and I've added a small snack after dinner.

Maintenance doesn't suck. I'm still eating less then I used to but it is much more than I did when I was trying to lose so it's okay.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Wine. Always suppliment with wine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would add calories gradually week by week, not all at once.

Do you track calories, or macros? Macros would be best...but try adding 10g carbs a day for a week and see how you respond. You may want to add a little protein (10g) or fat (5g) another week...
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    That right there is a nice big cup of frozen yogurt, a very small but tasty milkshake, a bedtime cup of hot chocolate, a snack of ham/cheese/crackers, a honeycrisp apple with an ounce of really good cheddar cheese, two or three whole eggs with bacon in your breakfast, a side of ribs or shrimp with your chicken dinner, a side of fries with your turkey burger, cheese and mayo on your formerly lean sub, or enough pistachios to give you a mild tummy ache. Well, that's how my extras get spent anyway. Enjoy! :drinker: