7 mile race results! And question for runners.

Options
Hi everyone. Well, I ran my farthest distance ever yesterday. This is just my 3rd road race ever. I've done a 9K, 10K, and yesterday
I did a 7 mile. I was very nervous because it was a very hilly course. My goal was an hour and 15 minutes and even that seemed unrealistic. Well, I did it in 60:53! Of course all I can think about is those lousy 54 seconds, would've loved to come in under the hour! Officially I finished 348 out of 840 and 44th out of 155 in my division at an 8:42 pace. Not terrific, but I'll take it!

A couple questions for fellow runners. One of my biggest problems is that I have a hard time training. For some reason I have not even close to the amount of desire or interest in running when I'm training. 4 miles is the most I've ever attempted to run while not in a race. I really want to do a half marathon in October but am finding it impossible to train for. Should I just skip it, or since I can do a 7 mile with no problem at all just say to hell with it, if I have to walk alot, I walk alot?

Also, I found that I had terrible GI problems after yesterdays race. i don't think I hydrated enough. Do any of you run with a fuel belt? Do you find it distracting? I also find I get awful cramps if I drink anything and run. Advice?

Replies

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump :) I'd like to hear your responses!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great Job on your race!!!! How many times a week are you running your 4 miles? You should only be runnning a few times a week with one long run a week, cross & strength train the other days and rest one day. I would recommend building up to at least a 10 mile run as your long run before the half and that should keep you running the whole way. Just increase your miles by 1 mile each week for the long run and in the final few weeks increase your training runs to 5 miles or so. I have to have water along the way so I take advantage of all the water stops. I don't drink the GU drinks or anything that I haven't used before in my runs as this may cause stomach problems :frown: . I do refuel with GU Chomps or shot blocks every 40-45 minutes when I'm doing distance to prevent boinking. I've ran with a water belt and have not likes it but it carried 2- 20oz bottles and have a friend that started running with a fuel belt that carrie 4-8oz bottles and he said that it works well, so I'll try that. Hope this helps and keep running :happy: .
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'd be very wary of running a half-marathon with minimal training... but that is a GREAT pace for a 7 mile race. The big issue will be your "commitment" to training - at this point you're looking at doing another 7 mile run this weekend, an 8 the following, etc. until you get to 2 weeks before race time. The weekend before a race, just do a "fast" 5-6 miles. During the week do at least two to three 3-4mi runs. There are plenty of training programs out there, just google "half-marathon training" and you'll get an idea.

But to answer your questions: Walking is no big deal, but you still need to put in the time and train... try to find a partner if you can - it helps tremendously. I can't run with anything (even an i-pod in my pocket) because I find it distracting, but that's all personal preference. I've seen a few people with fuel-belts and it could help... I personally drive about half-way out of my run and drop off a water-bottle. That way I at least get SOME hydration.

I hope this helps, and once again, great job in the 7-mile.
  • bmoree
    bmoree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    also...try reading on jeff galloway's running method. i just used it in may to run a half marathon. it incorporates walking with running so that you are able to go longer distances. i train this way also. i do a one minute speed walk for every five minutes of running. you can try different combinations to see whats best for you. good luck!
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Hi everyone. Well, I ran my farthest distance ever yesterday. This is just my 3rd road race ever. I've done a 9K, 10K, and yesterday
    I did a 7 mile. I was very nervous because it was a very hilly course. My goal was an hour and 15 minutes and even that seemed unrealistic. Well, I did it in 60:53! Of course all I can think about is those lousy 54 seconds, would've loved to come in under the hour! Officially I finished 348 out of 840 and 44th out of 155 in my division at an 8:42 pace. Not terrific, but I'll take it!

A couple questions for fellow runners. One of my biggest problems is that I have a hard time training. For some reason I have not even close to the amount of desire or interest in running when I'm training. 4 miles is the most I've ever attempted to run while not in a race. I really want to do a half marathon in October but am finding it impossible to train for. Should I just skip it, or since I can do a 7 mile with no problem at all just say to hell with it, if I have to walk alot, I walk alot?

Also, I found that I had terrible GI problems after yesterdays race. i don't think I hydrated enough. Do any of you run with a fuel belt? Do you find it distracting? I also find I get awful cramps if I drink anything and run. Advice?

Congratulations on a great race.. Especially that it was hilly..
    To answer your question, it all depends on people. Obviously you seem to be able to run faster with a minimum training. Some people need the full training for 3 runs a week, some run every other day short distances, some train by just doing speed work 3 times a week and do some cross-training. It all depend on the individual. there is no one formula that fits all.. It all depends what works for you..
    how many times do you do your 4 miles run? do you do any speed work at all? do you cross train? if so how often.
    Depending on your response, you might be able to do the half marathon without adding any more mileage to what you are doing..
    As for fuel, i usually use a fuel belt when i am going for distances longer than 15 miles. Anything under, i just try to run where there is access to water on the route. I usually drink every 5 miles or so, water. and i drink electrolytes every 7 miles (of course that varies if it is too hot and/or humid). I try to eat 2 hours prior to my longer run a mix of carbs and protein and fat (such as a whole grain bagel with peanut butter and jelly).
    Another thing i do, for races i try to find out in advance what they will be offering at the stations and i use that during my long runs. That way my body is used to it. so once you decide which race you will be doing, then find out what they are offering at the stations.
    hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Dounia
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    well done on your 7 miler - thats great result.
    I ran a half marathon in June and i was running 7 - 8 miles twice a week and then a longer run on a weekend - i got up to running 13.1 miles in training at 2 weeks before the big day. Then taper off your training and do barely anything the week before.
    I would not have managed unless i had done all that training before.

You may find you have drinks stations on half marathon but i carry a bottle of lucosade sports drink on longer runs, I also take the Go gels - but i suggest you try some different ones on training because some of them are disgusting and some can upset your stomach.

You will need to refuel on a half marathon so you need to be prepared for something otherwise you will struggle.

Do you have a running club locally that you can join?

Good luck with the run
  • bikinimission
    Options
    bump!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a great race! That is a really good pace. In terms of the future, it's really about what you want your running to be. I would be mad at myself and not enjoy the experience if I were so undertrained that I had to walk most of a race--I would consider it a waste of money. To me the pride is in training and doing the best you can do, not in crawling over the finish line any which way you can. It is really not that hard to add a mile a week to your longest distance, and you will be so much more confident in your ability to finish a half strong if you have run 10 or 11 miles before.

As far as fueling, my body is not so picky. I don't carry water for any run under 9 miles (a sip at a drinking fountain or two along the way is enough) and I don't carry at any race where there are aid stations. Because I REALLY hate carrying things or wearing a fuel belt. On a long trail run or something where I am not going to pass any water sources, I just carry a bottle of water in my hand. I hate it, but it's better than dying. I also force down a gel or a couple of gummy blocks for any run over 13 miles. In terms of your GI issues, I would guess it was more about a hard effort than being dehydrated. Some runners just get that, and if you ran 7 that fast after only training up to 4 miles, I think your body was just protesting.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Bump, and a question.

I also get GI issues after a race. Is there something I can do before/during the race to prevent this or is it just a result of the exertion?

Thanks.
    (novie triathlete)