Any people eating low sugar 'diets' in maintenance?

Options
Hi,
I've been on MFP for a while and I'm at a weight I'm happy with so I'm bobbing along in maintenance..
However I've recently spoken to nutritionist and I've been advised to cut sugar, I'm in my first couple of weeks and it's going okay so far..Apart from the normal (I hope) niggles such as finding certain vegetables etc naturally include sugar (so I'm not 100% sugar free) but I'm looking for friends that follow a similar diet..
I'm trying to eat less processed food, balance my macros and keep down that sugar!
Feel free to add :)

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    if your an active individual (not sedentary) who is in a good weight range, you do not need to worry about sugar.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat a relatively low sugar diet. I have sugar about once or twice a month as a proper treat. But on the whole, I bake my own bread, I eat tons of veg and everything I eat is home-cooked (no ready meals, though sometimes my diary suggests otherwise, I usually just use those calorie counts as a guide). Add me if you like. I'm in maintenance, but just on my last leg of fiddling with my calories per day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, i like apples and grapes, so low sugar wouldnt work at all for me!
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    if your an active individual (not sedentary) who is in a good weight range, you do not need to worry about sugar.

I am a healthy weight/BF etc but I was experiencing some highs/lows and terrible mood swings because I had a bit of a 'addiction' I suppose..I was/am working out out a lot so could handle in my my macros but I'd eat a lot of dried fruit, nibble on chocolate and eat all those 'low fat - sugar free' bits and bobs full of chemicals..Now my diets not 'perfect' but I'm trying to stabilize my health/eating rather than have a 'sugar is evil' attitude...
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    no, i like apples and grapes, so low sugar wouldnt work at all for me!

I love apples..That's the number one thing I'd really miss so I have half a apple rather than a whole one with nut butter to balance it..
    Weaning myself off my sultana addiction has been painful...but so far so good!
  • AverageUkDude
    Options

I am a healthy weight/BF etc but I was experiencing some highs/lows and terrible mood swings because I had a bit of a 'addiction' I suppose..I was/am working out out a lot so could handle in my my macros but I'd eat a lot of dried fruit, nibble on chocolate and eat all those 'low fat - sugar free' bits and bobs full of chemicals..Now my diets not 'perfect' but I'm trying to stabilize my health/eating rather than have a 'sugar is evil' attitude...

Are you sure its sugar? and not caffeine or another source.

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? healthy fats help regulate hormone production. Also ensure your getting your micro nutrients.

The order of things I would be concerned about in this order:

Protein -> Carbs -> Micronutrients (Am i getting my fruit and veg) -> Fats.

I hate 'experts' who try and tell you to cut things out, at the end of the day its about balance, moderation and consistency.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? healthy fats help regulate hormone production. Also ensure your getting your micro nutrients.

I hate 'experts' who try and tell you to cut things out, at the end of the day its about balance, moderation and consistency.

people who have "normal" BMIs can have diabetes or pre-diabetes/insulin resistance/carb sensitivity. It's not caused by being fat. Correlation =/= causation.

though I do agree in the majority of cases, sugar isn't a problem and it certainly shouldn't be demonised to the extent that it is. But some people do need to be a lot more careful with carbs than others, and that can include people with "normal" BMIs too.
  • AverageUkDude
    Options

people who have "normal" BMIs can have diabetes or pre-diabetes/insulin resistance/carb sensitivity. It's not caused by being fat. Correlation =/= causation.

I wasn't talking about diabetes. There has been a study recently that shows that sugar caused accelerated fat gain, but this study was on severely obese and sedentary individuals. OP didn't mention diabetes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Berries are often quite low in sugar compared to other fruits if you want to follow this route.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I wasn't talking about diabetes. There has been a study recently that shows that sugar caused accelerated fat gain, but this study was on severely obese and sedentary individuals. OP didn't mention diabetes.

but she said she has problems with sugar.... having severe mood swings from eating carbs could be a sign of pre-diabetes. It might not be but IMO it's wrong to totally dismiss it and say she can't have a problem with carbs because she has a normal BMI
  • AverageUkDude
    Options

but she said she has problems with sugar.... having severe mood swings from eating carbs could be a sign of pre-diabetes. It might not be but IMO it's wrong to totally dismiss it and say she can't have a problem with carbs because she has a normal BMI

She said she has problems with mood swings, but her diet is not perfect, which means it could be anything really. I would rule out all other options before jumping down the cutting foods out completely route, especially as cutting down on carbs can cause issues in terms of performance for exercise and energy levels.

Op should get blood-work done if diabetes is a concern and take advice from doctor over a 'nationalist'
  • neandermagnon
    Options

She said she has problems with mood swings, but her diet is not perfect, which means it could be anything really. I would rule out all other options before jumping down the cutting foods out completely route, especially as cutting down on carbs can cause issues in terms of performance for exercise and energy levels.

Op should get blood-work done if diabetes is a concern and take advice from doctor over a 'nationalist'

I agree, apart from not everyone knows the signs of pre-diabetes and when it's a good idea to get that kind of thing tested. And yes i agree get advice from a doc etc rather than just cutting out carbs. Diabetics aren't advised to cut out carbs completely, it's more about eating the right kinds of carbs and when they're eaten. (OP take note)
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies...
    I'm 5'7 135lb 19.6BF and BMI is 21.1 (according to online calc) so not worried so much about weight but I have regular diabetes tests as my father/brother are type 1.
    I do love carbs and turn to grains, squash, sweet pot etc & even though I say I'm not perfect I do eat well & I don't have calorie/carb paranoia (as I need them-I'm sporty...run 15/20m a week, lift, climb, spin etc)..
    I am open minded to different ideas/diets but since cutting down on sugar I've felt much butter&I've tweaked my diet to ensure I'm still hitting macros...more than anything I wanted more food inspiration! (I should have been more clear)...I do feel a lot more energetic but maybe because its because I cut all 'low sugar-fat free' chemically type food..Thanks again guys.
  • AverageUkDude
    Options
    I'm 5'7 135lb 19.6BF and BMI is 21.1 (according to online calc) so not worried so much about weight but I have regular diabetes tests as my father/brother are type 1.
    I do love carbs and turn to grains, squash, sweet pot etc & even though I say I'm not perfect I do eat well & I don't have calorie/carb paranoia (as I need them-I'm sporty...run 15/20m a week, lift, climb, spin etc)..
    I am open minded to different ideas/diets but since cutting down on sugar I've felt much butter&I've tweaked my diet to ensure I'm still hitting macros...more than anything I wanted more food inspiration! (I should have been more clear)...I do feel a lot more energetic but maybe because its because I cut all 'low sugar-fat free' chemically type food..Thanks again guys.

Are you eating enough fruit and veg? your micros are very important too. At this time of year it can be helpful to take Vit D due to darker days.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you nutitionist meant 'sugar' and not 'processed sugar' or, even more likely, 'added sugar'?

And, if so, did he/she mean high glycemic foods, not sugar? All the foods you talked about nibbling a lot of are very high glycemic and can really push your insulin around if you tend that way.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No. I eat everything.

I love me some candy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Are you eating enough fruit and veg? your micros are very important too. At this time of year it can be helpful to take Vit D due to darker days.

I think a variety of fruits and vegetables are important. Also chocolate.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am. Type one diabetic here for 28 years....
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bumping this forum.
    I barely ever craved sugar before I started dieting. But now I'm a sugar monster!!!
    I agree that's it hard to cut anything completely out of your diet, but gradually I'm trying to wean myself off my addiction to sugar. I'm going to start with baby steps
    My new goal is to not eat sweet foods for breakfast. I heard that helps for some. If anyone has quick non-sweet breakfast ideas, that'd be great