(Fibro)Gluten Meal Ideas :)

Options
Hi I have been tested for gluten allergy and it came back neg. so now that is ruled out I have seen others say that eating gluten free is good for Fibromyalgia pain as well the inflammation from my osteoarthritis. Has it helped anyone? and I understand the concept of the diet but need some meal ideas please. :)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want to be gluten free then just eat gluten free. You don't really need meal ideas, just a lot of package reading or only eating whole foods that you know what they are. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley so avoid those in any form. Then sneaky part it a lot of foods are made using those grains as thickeners so you really have to read the labels looking for any form of those grains. Anything that says malt is on the no list as well. Oats are considered gluten free but are usually processed in plants that use wheat so can be contaminated. Not as big a concern if you aren't celiac.

The good news is all meats, fish, vegetables, fruit, potatoes, rice, dairy in their natural state are gluten free. There are tons of gluten free substitute products available but they are very expensive, contain a lot of sugar and most often taste like cardboard. If you can just learn to live without breads and pastries you'll be far better off. There are some good pasta substitutes. Catelli has just come out with one that is very close to the real thing.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK? Warburtons do a great gluten free wrap which has saved my lunchtimes!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be allergic to gluten to be better off not eating it. There is a spectrum of intolerance and sensitivity to it.

It takes some practice to not have wheat be a cornerstone of every meal but its not as hard as people initially think. I eat rice, legumes, potatoes, gf pastas if I am feeling like starch, but mostly I rely on plant fibre to make up half my meals. I eat veggies steamed, sauteed, roast, you name it. I try to balance lower calorie foods with calorie dense ones and I don't shy away from healthy fats.

If you just need pure ideas, there are lots of blogs out there devoted to the subject. I stay away from the baking ones unless they are trained because most of them are peddling awful gf cakes and cookies, but for main courses- there are great ideas. Start with skinnytaste.com if you scroll down the page she has a list for gluten free that will help get you started. Have fun! Food should taste good! :smile:
  • Catlover165
    Catlover165 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes it should be easy to switch and healthy too! Thanks just trying to wrap my head around it and pleas the family as well... I guess if they want a wheat roll then they can have right! :) thanks a bunch
  • Catlover165
    Catlover165 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, so for me I will just have to trail and error... lol thanks for you input!!