""Lifting heavy"", what does it mean to you (WOMAN)

Options
2»

Replies

• Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I know lifting heavy is not gender specific, but a male giving me his numbers will not help me have an idea of what I can aim for, sorry! :-

Wasn't trying to be a punk - just making sure. :wink: There's always posts on here about "woman" specific lifting programs, supplements, you name it.

Anyway, let yourself and your progress be the judge of how heavy a weight is. I just don't see the point of asking a bunch of strangers who may or may not be truthful (and for that matter may or may not be women!) what they lift.

I was not trying to be rude, I just don`t know where to start.....
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1 - 4 days/week

1600 cals

Squat 125, Deadlift 160, Bench 95, OHP 65

I keep seeing 5/3/1 whats that mean?

It's a strength training program. Excellent program, it's the one I choose.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I was not clear in my post.... I DON`T KNOW WHERE TO START. I don`t want to hurt myself. So I guess I should start light for 5 reps and keep pilling on the weight for as long as it`s still too easy and that I can do more than 5 reps??

If you're starting with the Compound Lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press & Rows) & using a barbell then the bar itself (which weights 45lbs) is where you want to try to start. Deadlifts excluded as most can start at about 75lbs or so. Just starting you may not be able to do Bench Press & Overhead Press @ 45lbs. If you workout at a gym that has premade barbells, you can use them until you have worked your strength up to 45lbs.

Isolation Lifts (Curls, Tricep Extensions, Lateral Raises, etc.) you'll want to start off in the 8-12 rep range. Once 12 is "easy" then increase the weight.

Also, don't ever sacrifice lifting heavy for crap form. You want to be able to lift in a rep range that's heavy but with which you also have good form.

Hopefully this is the info. you're looking for.:smile:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

There are a lot of good suggestions in here. I personally think Stronglifts is a great program. Hits all the major lifts and a great beginner program because you can start with just the bar. You alternate Workout A and B and usually do 3 days a week. Week 1 would be A,B,A - then Week 2 would be B,A,B. I usually go T, Th, Sat.

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Rows 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

You start with just the oly bar and then add 5 pounds. I prefer Stronglifts to 5/3/1, but that's just my opinion. I have done both; just prefer to get more work in rather than hit each major lift once a week.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book for starting out. It has pictures and your plan. Check out the book.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5x/week with a few days of cardio thrown in. I used to do JUST cardio (running), but since I have become a serious devotee to lifting, my body has never looked better! And this is coming from someone who is still fairly insecure about how she looks, but that's for another thread..... :embarassed:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The book Starting Strength might be a good place to start ;)
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I was not clear in my post.... I DON`T KNOW WHERE TO START. I don`t want to hurt myself. So I guess I should start light for 5 reps and keep pilling on the weight for as long as it`s still too easy and that I can do more than 5 reps??

A good place to start would be with a quality beginner program. If you have access to barbells, my top recommendation would be Stronglifts 5X5. The weights increase every workout, so over time you will go from a weight that feels too light to something you can just manage to do.

I personally am using a more advanced program to support my goals as a powerlifter, but loved the strength I gained while using Stronglifts. 8 months on Strong lifts got me to a 150 squat, 95 bench, and 250 deadlift, all one rep maxes.

I eat about 2100 cal on training days, 1500 on rest days.
  • amastre
    Options

There are a lot of good suggestions in here. I personally think Stronglifts is a great program. Hits all the major lifts and a great beginner program because you can start with just the bar. You alternate Workout A and B and usually do 3 days a week. Week 1 would be A,B,A - then Week 2 would be B,A,B. I usually go T, Th, Sat.

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Rows 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

You start with just the oly bar and then add 5 pounds. I prefer Stronglifts to 5/3/1, but that's just my opinion. I have done both; just prefer to get more work in rather than hit each major lift once a week.

5/3/1 is better suited for when the weights are heavy enough that you actually need a full week's recovery between training sessions. I followed it for a while, found I got weaker due to the lack of training volume. There is a full-body template for 5/3/1 floating around that is better suited to beginners who are lifting less weight and need less recovery time, but I'm not super familiar with it.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Rows 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

5/3/1 is better suited for when the weights are heavy enough that you actually need a full week's recovery between training sessions. I followed it for a while, found I got weaker due to the lack of training volume. There is a full-body template for 5/3/1 floating around that is better suited to beginners who are lifting less weight and need less recovery time, but I'm not super familiar with it.

Oh yeah, I think I'm doing that now. It's 3 days a week. Basically, you squat and bench press the same day, then overhead press and deadlift the other day, alternating:

A
    Squat 5/3/1
    Bench Press 3x5
    Assistance work: Abs, rows, tricep press, lunges, leg press, flys...

B
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Overhead Press 5/3/1
    Assistance work: chin ups, abs, lats, dips...

A'
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Assistance work: Abs, rows, tricep press, lunges, leg press, flys...

I like it so far, might switch to the full program in January though.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    is it possible to start lifting without a gym membership?
  • amastre
    Options
    is it possible to start lifting without a gym membership?

If you have access to weights yes. There are also some great bodyweight training programs available. One resource for bodyweight training that I like is http://www.startbodyweight.com/ the author there has a good fullbody routine, plus progressions through the movements. you will need a pull-up bar though to get the most out of that.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The book Starting Strength might be a good place to start ;)

I'd second this, in terms of really good information and routines this is a great way to go! I found it to be more detailed than Stronglifts, and more suited for beginners.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    I don't lift as heavy as I used to when I was in my twenties. Besides getting older, I got a neurological disease in 2011 which affects my balance. I can't do free weights anymore because it is not safe for me to carry plates/dumbells from the rack to the bar/bench.

So I do a small split of one muscle group after my cardio workout. Usually 3 sets of 8 reps for upper body and 3 sets of 12-15 reps for lower body. My mini split is typically only two lifts.

I still consider myself a heavy lifter, despite my wimpy workouts, because i do try to train to failure most of the time. Tonight i did 3 sets of seated machine bench at 61 kg. The last two reps of the last set were assisted.