Trying to repair a damaged matabolism

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is very easy to underestimate cals intaken. I think the previous dieting history is less important in the context of things because of the pregnancy and weight gain. The metabolic adaptations are most prominent at your lowest weight basically.

And I'm saying you are a liar or anything but maintaining weight at 150lbs on 900cals is a bw multiplier of 6. (less than half of a "normal" maintenance) That is very unlikely.

I'd start with measuring everything as accurately as possible and then go with the original advice :)
    I'm sorry, can you explain the "bw multiplier of 6"?

150x6 = 900.

Most people maintain on roughly 14 to 16x bw and most people reliably lose weight on anywhere around 9-12 cals/lb.

That being said, this isn't going to hold true for everyone.

The biggest thing you can and should do to resolve this situation is to purchase a digital food scale and devote the next few weeks to tracking and measuring things meticulously. It's very likely that you are eating more than you think.
  • jcairl
    jcairl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think the advice you've been given by almost everyone has been poor, especially compared to the usual standards, with the exception of a few members who actually answered most or all of your questions. The first thing, as chrisdavey said, is that your caloric intake is still quite low for someone of your weight and height if we are using Lyle McDonald's guidelines for maintenance caloric intake:
    "In general, women or those with a ‘slower’ metabolic rate should use the lower value (14 cal/lb) and men or those with a ‘faster’ metabolic rate should use the higher value (16 cal/lb) as a STARTING POINT ESTIMATION for maintenance calories."
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Again, like chris has said "I'd keep eating around 2000 and see if you weight starts to level out. If you continue gaining at 2000 then I'd say you still have quite a slow metabolism. In that case, I'd aim for slow weight gain until you are getting close to that 14x bw multiplier. "

But to answer your other questions:
    So, I guess my question is: 1) Am I going about repairing my damaged metabolism correctly? Did I give myself a reasonable time frame, or should I expect it to take longer? 2) Gaining weight is normal when repairing, but it will come off...right? When my body trusts me again doesn't think it needs to hoard it? And finally, 3) How will I know that my metabolism is repaired and I can start trying to lose weight, and how do I do that from where I am.

1) Relatively correct so far. Your diary is private but in terms of macronutrients (carbs, fat and protein) use a custom goal of:
    0.8g protein/lb of lean body mass
    0.4g fat/lb of bodyweight or 15-30% of your diet
    the rest with carbs
    and please watch this guideline video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

6-8 weeks? I'm not sure about this to be honest. I would not put a time frame on your health. I would stick with 2000 calories for now until your weight starts to level of with a few fluctuations and then start dieting with a 10-20% deficit. This could take several months, yes.

2) Yes, weight that is gained can be lost, regardless of what you have in the past, through diet and exercise (although some wacko doctors are claiming that exercise does not cause weight loss, eg Robert Lustig and his cronies at UCSF notwithstanding that it's a great medical school that I would be happy to go to what but hey whatever).

3) Been answered: continue what you are doing and see 1). Don't do any fad diets you read in the magazines, by celebrities and bodybuilders. Continue with your cardio and ensure you are weight training and using correct form in each exercise. Follow a beginner strength training program (I would suggest buying a book like Starting Strength or The New Rules of Lifting For Women from Amazon). Just a normal diet for now and don't stress it.
    Thank you very much Haroon! I appreciate your thorough advice and helpful input :)
  • jcairl
    Options
    I agree that it is very easy to underestimate cals intaken. I think the previous dieting history is less important in the context of things because of the pregnancy and weight gain. The metabolic adaptations are most prominent at your lowest weight basically.

And I'm saying you are a liar or anything but maintaining weight at 150lbs on 900cals is a bw multiplier of 6. (less than half of a "normal" maintenance) That is very unlikely.

I'd start with measuring everything as accurately as possible and then go with the original advice :)
    I'm sorry, can you explain the "bw multiplier of 6"?

150x6 = 900.

Most people maintain on roughly 14 to 16x bw and most people reliably lose weight on anywhere around 9-12 cals/lb.

The biggest thing you can and should do to resolve this situation is to purchase a digital food scale and devote the next few weeks to tracking and measuring things meticulously. It's very likely that you are eating more than you think.

Oh, okay. I'm with you now on the bw thing....took me a second to realize what it stands for. Thank you very much. I will definitely purchase a scale. :)
  • MrsFlotron
    MrsFlotron Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    150x6 = 900.

Even with that caveat, it is quite rare to find someone who has to drop to a multiplier of 8 to lose weight...never mind 6.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    HBO Health of a Nation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

Study discussed where they ate 800 and no exercise.
    900 and exercise - (I know, if really 900), could put you in the same boat I'd imagine, not that far removed.

Possible 15-20% reduction in metabolism not related to loss of muscle mass, just plain efficiency improvements in the body in general in everything.

Only an RMR test with a good bodyfat test would spell out if RMR is much lower than expected for body composition.

But method described, get accurate, get body unstressed, and then take reasonable deficit, can work too.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I know you said that you havent had your thyroid checked but does hypothyroidism run in your family? It does in mine. I havent had mine checked in over a year but I decided to do something before it affects my weight. So I knew I had to lose weight.... Are you on any birth control thatll make you gain weight. Even though I know you said gaining doesnt affect you but just wondering
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar story. I was overweight as a teenager, lost loads of weight at university as I basically didn't eat a lot, carried on losing when I started work, plus I joined a gym then too. I was eating under 1200 calories, definitely, sometimes less. I did this for years.

I put on weight when I moved in with my now husband as I started eating normally, plus I was doing teacher training which was stressful.

I lost weight for our wedding through loads of cardio, and eating less than 1200. Got pregnant, so gained some. Lost it all, got pregnant again and gained even more.

After baby no.2 I did the 1200 calorie thing for a year, and I did lose weight. I also did lots more strength training. Then I discovered MFP and from reading the forums decided to increase my calories, eventually to 1500. I lost even more weight, and only then did I start to lose significantly from places like my hips. I think the extra calories made the strength training more effective.

I'm pregnant with no.3 now and eating up to 1800 calories a day, and still working out, so I'm hoping that this time I won't gain as much weight as I've had good eating habits for quite a while now.

I do think you can sort your metabolism out, because I think i managed to do it. All those years of eating less than 1200 calories, and 10 years later I managed to get myself as thin, and in better shape, by eating more!
  • jcairl
    Options
    I know you said that you havent had your thyroid checked but does hypothyroidism run in your family? It does in mine. I havent had mine checked in over a year but I decided to do something before it affects my weight. So I knew I had to lose weight.... Are you on any birth control thatll make you gain weight. Even though I know you said gaining doesnt affect you but just wondering
    I haven't had it checked, but I think I'm going to when I schedule a physical at the beginning of the year. No, it doesn't run in my family but it seems that it could be a factor after having a baby, so I've seen with some responses.

And no, I haven't taken BC since 2008. I never really liked the way it altered my hormones and moods. The only reason I'm not affected by me gaining a little bit of weight is because I know that my body is trying to heal itself, and hoping that it falls off once it does.
  • johnsondb
    Options
    Great suggestions! I too am a product of over dieting and calorie restrictions for year! I am now working with a nutritionist, a MD, and am on a solid eating plan...cutting out the "white stuff," to a degree. Breads, Rice, Flour, Pasta, etc. but can have in moderation...just not daily. I don't have the spike in cravings and I am trying to eat fruits, vegies, lean meats and good fats. I have 40 lbs. to loose and seems like an uphill battle. I am however, feeling good since I have eliminated most of the sugar stuff! Amazing how sweet an apple really is!
  • jcairl
    Options
    Great suggestions! I too am a product of over dieting and calorie restrictions for year! I am now working with a nutritionist, a MD, and am on a solid eating plan...cutting out the "white stuff," to a degree. Breads, Rice, Flour, Pasta, etc. but can have in moderation...just not daily. I don't have the spike in cravings and I am trying to eat fruits, vegies, lean meats and good fats. I have 40 lbs. to loose and seems like an uphill battle. I am however, feeling good since I have eliminated most of the sugar stuff! Amazing how sweet an apple really is!
    That is encouraging! Great job :) I'm trying to lose 40 pounds too!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it checked, but I think I'm going to when I schedule a physical at the beginning of the year. No, it doesn't run in my family but it seems that it could be a factor after having a baby, so I've seen with some responses.

And no, I haven't taken BC since 2008. I never really liked the way it altered my hormones and moods. The only reason I'm not affected by me gaining a little bit of weight is because I know that my body is trying to heal itself, and hoping that it falls off once it does.

Oh ok. Im trying to lose the weight after my 2nd. I was on the depo but been off for a year already but also had a poor eating habits since 2010-2011. But I finally took a stand and decided to change my ways and to lose the weight that ultimately made me obese
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is likely fine.

This and I don't believe for a second the "starvation mode" theory. Eating too many calories is what got us fat in the first place. It plain and simple makes no sense to me at all, to eat more to lose. I know that I'll start the fury, but it's just that-my opinion, and my endocrinologist.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is likely fine.

This and I don't believe for a second the "starvation mode" theory. Eating too many calories is what got us fat in the first place. It plain and simple makes no sense to me at all, to eat more to lose. I know that I'll start the fury, but it's just that-my opinion, and my endocrinologist.

Not necessarily true. I think it's the yoyo diet thing that's damaging, but also when you want to lose and you eat way too few calories a day, and you keep that up for ages. Most active people need more than say 1100 calories a day to keep going, but then your body will get used to such a low amount, and then when you're forced into a position when you need to eat more, ie pregnancy, then you can pile on weight.

I never overate as a teenager, but I was overweight. At that age I knew nothing about nutrition really, so my response was to starve myself. All my friends would eat chips, crisps, biscuits, chocolate etc. I'd eat a bread roll for lunch (approx 200 cals) I walked everywhere too (I'm English, we tend to do that), played badminton, cycled etc.

So I started eating too little at a young age, but luckily I have managed to correct it in my 30s without resorting to eating too little!
  • shortdub
    shortdub Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    maybe it is what you are eating? like are you eating clean? are you consuming a large amount of sugar, carbs, fats, and sodium? i had a very poor diet several months ago. i wasn't losing anything, but i wasn't eating much either. there were times where i missed meals or didn't eat anything for the entire day. i ate a lot of sodium filled snacks, like jerky, flavored sunflower seeds, chips, and i had a thing for cookies and milk. once i decided to lose weight, i started to eat clean, i dramatically reduced my sodium intake, had nothing but water, with cardio workouts included. i lost a little over 10 pounds in a month. i also have a 9 month old and two other children. my body was out of of sync being postpartum. now that i got my weight down and i am eating better, things are looking up! so my suggestion would be to take into consideration what you are eating, not just how much of it you are consuming.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, Mr. knight. I wasn't 175 pounds when I was eating 900 calories. I had already lost 55lbs, and had lowered my calories to 900 when I hit a plateau when I was about 150lbs.

Now this makes sense. Of why you think your metabolism might be damaged. Eating this little amount of calories can screw you up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

You may just want to take a gander down in the results section. Good Luck at the Doctor and hope you get better soon!
  • Mrsdawnrazor
    Mrsdawnrazor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, Mr. knight. I wasn't 175 pounds when I was eating 900 calories. I had already lost 55lbs, and had lowered my calories to 900 when I hit a plateau when I was about 150lbs.

Now this makes sense. Of why you think your metabolism might be damaged. Eating this little amount of calories can screw you up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

You may just want to take a gander down in the results section. Good Luck at the Doctor and hope you get better soon!

Please only read this if you really understand it. These guys were literally starving themselves. They had reduced their body fat to 3%. You have not and will never be in starvation mode! Please can we put the starvation mode myth to bed. The maths is very simple

energy used> energy taken = weight loss
    energy used< energy taken= weight gain
    energy used= energy taken= maintenance

Caveat - médical issues aside.