Shin splint success stories please!

Options
I'm looking for success stories from those of you who have overcome chronic shin splints. I've been in weekly physical therapy sessions for this issue for 6 months now and seriously need some encouragement that this condition can be overcome. My specific issues are fibrosis of the calf and shin muscles which causes generalized muscle weakness. My PT has never seen anyone with such an advanced case as mine.
Thanks!!!

Replies

• zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with both shin splints and stress fractures. I always found that the proper shoes and compression socks helped the most past "too much too soon" syndrome. Warming up with tip toe walking and walking on your heels helps (address imbalances between muscles. Do you know what the cause is? Muscle imbalance? Which ones?
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My PT tells me it's lots of things. Poor mechanics, muscle weakness, core weakness. We have worked on/corrected all three for 6 months and no improvement in my shins. Saw an ortho yesterday. Xrays were normal. He ordered a bone scan. My PT did recommend compression socks recently. Did you get custom ones or just some from a drug store? Thanks for your response!
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in a regular ace bandages, but compression socks from a drug store should work just fine and take the guesswork out of wrapping too tight. You may also want to try massage therapy. Look for a therapist trained in rolfing or structural bodywork. He probably is right about the mechanics and muscle weakness. Just may need a little more help in correcting the problems. You've probably been building up to this problem for years, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while to figure out what works for your body in the correcting of it.