Dying Gray Hair and making hair fuller advice - Ladies

Options
leslisa
leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
OK. So I'm 44 now and apparently my hair has decided to turn white/gray here and there. Not a lot and it's a pain in the *kitten* because it's scattered on my head. So I would like to color my hair - sort of. What I really want is for it to just cover the few grays I have and leave everything else alone.

Can anyone recommend some paint type hair color I can get and just "paint" the few I have or do I have to go to a salon to do this? How the heck do you match your natural color with the boxes? I don't really want to spend the cash on a hair dresser but I will if I have to. For reference, my natural color is brown with a lot of copper, blonde, and bronze highlights (naturally occurring highlights).

Also, I seem to have less hair than I did even last year. Not that it's all falling out but it's not staying put and it "frays" more than it did before. Any vitamin or supplement ideas that might help that? Or even a special shampoo? I use Tresemme most of the time - shampoo and conditioner.

I'm pretty low maintenance so I'm thinking I might be putting too much thought into this? If there's a simple solution, I'm up for it.

Replies

• coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Current pic is what I do, LOL!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about what dye to use but if i were you i would stop using shampoo's & conditioners with harsh chemicals in them.
    buy some products with natural Ingredients. i use natural shampoo's & conditioners and my hair is much healthier. all the chemicals strip the hair of nutrients. maybe try some moroccan oil as well. it Nourishes the hair and adds lots of vitamins.
    Also i know they have natural dye products as well...
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I am 44 as well (and a bit up the coast from you, in St. Augustine). For the past year or so (as more and more grays have popped up) I have started getting my hair colored at the salon. I do highlights, which are more expensive, but the variation in color makes the gray hairs less obvious when they do start to show.

I get what you are saying about hair "fraying". I've had that issue since my kids were born. For me the worst are the fine little baby hairs around my face that never want to grow longer than a few inches and always want to frizz. The gray hairs are coarser and more wiry than the rest of my hair, so even after they've been colored, I can tell which ones they are. I am still trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that make my hair look fabulous every day. Right now I am using an Aveda product (damage control, I think) but while it seems to be making my hair stronger, it doesn't make it as smooth or manageable as I would like. So I'll be following this thread to see what suggestions others have.
  • leslisa
    Options
    Current pic is what I do, LOL!

I don't think that will work for me.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm a little bit vane about my hair. I've always had image issues but I've always loved my hair. It's down to my rear and I actually like the color. Beauticians say I should cut it short because it would make it lighter and look fuller, but I'm hoping for alternate suggestions :embarassed:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 30's and I have to color my hair every 6 weeks or so. I was lucky enough to inherit my dad's hair gene as he started going gray at 18.

I color my own hair as it would just be too expensive to go to the salon that often. Works fine for me.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You know, in order to be a bit more helpful, come to think of it, I recall going to this site to place an order for my mother who wasn't happy about her thinning hair. It asks you to input your hair type, etc. and makes a recommendation. Then search for a review to see what others are saying...

http://nioxin.com/en-US/products/product-system-kit-page.aspx?id=83

I believe she took system 4 and at 75 it seems to be working well!
  • leslisa
    Options
    You know, in order to be a bit more helpful, come to think of it, I recall going to this site to place an order for my mother who wasn't happy about her thinning hair. It asks you to input your hair type, etc. and makes a recommendation. Then search for a review to see what others are saying...

http://nioxin.com/en-US/products/product-system-kit-page.aspx?id=83

I believe she took system 4 and at 75 it seems to be working well!

Thank you! I'll look at it, but I was hoping for some more "natural" remedies to give more volume. I did find ten foods for healthy hair on WebMD, and the list includes a lot of foods I've been craving lately (salmon, eggs, and lentils to name a few). Wonder if I'm vitamin deficient? That has happened before. Usually with iron and vitamin D. Hmm.

About the coloring. I was hoping someone would have more suggestions...