Replies

• ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    P. S. Never run in icy conditions.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I run and x-c ski in temps as low as 5 above. A few things i have learned and rely on is to invest in good socks. Keeping your feet warm is key. A warm base layer will enable you to add on shorts and tops that are lighter weight and breathable. Gloves are mandatory. you dont need to spend a ton one money on fancy runners or specialized skiing gloves but get a light weight pair of winter gloves. A hat or headband to keep your body heat from escaping out the top. I personally like "turtle fur" fleece ear bands to keep my ears warm but allow some heat to escape out the top of my head. And finally, dont over do it. Start with a short run on really cold days, if you feel like going longer then okay but dont set yourself up for a miseralbe experience.

Sorry for the poor spelling
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    P. P. S. my base layer is my most expensive layer. Columbia base layer, Omni heat. What goes on top depends. I usually don't worry too much about my legs but layer my top, and a hat and gloves are necessary. I haven't needed a mask yet but I might later on in the winter, depending on conditions.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    P. S. Never run in icy conditions.

I'd never run. Fiction.

Traction aids like Yak Trax are designed for this.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ran the other morning at 6 degrees. Oddly I enjoy it. Here is what I wear from bottom to top:

Regular running shoes and socks
    Running shorts under lose running pants (extra layer helps my hip flexors stay warm and avoid strain)
    Short sleeve technical T
    Long sleeve technical T
    Full zip running jacket (from Target) zips up to the chin.
    Running hat with thicker band around ears
    light technical material gloves.

I strained a hip flexor last winter that took forever to heal up. That's why I wear the shorts under the pants. I find that the flexors are about the hardest tissue for me to keep warm during a run.

I do extra warm ups inside before leaving, that helps with the temp. So when I wake up I roll out of bed onto the floor and stretch the shins and Plantar ligament. Wander downstairs and put on the base layer and start warm ups. 10 deep squats and 10 single leg squats (per leg) to warm up the knees. Knee rotations for the MCL and ACL's (I hurt those easier in the cold). Ankle rotations and quad stretches. Go up and down the stairs twice with 30 sit-ups after each.

All the lunges and trunk rotations serve to both stretch and warm up the muscles so I do about whatever comes into my head to help get the blood flowing.

Put on the rest of the gear and hit the road. I run a little slower for the first 1/4 mile or so, then i'm all warmed up and limber and ready to increase to my normal pace.

Don't worry about being cold, that only lasts for a short time. You'll have to experiment a bit to get the layers right. My general rules for layers.
    above 50° is shorts and T
    at 50 I add the long sleeve T and hat
    at 40 i add gloves and long lose pants
    at 30 I add the jacket and shorts under long pants.
    at 20 I add the short sleeve T as the base layer. I haven't tried to run below 0 yet:) so this get up works for me down to 6°.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    so far, the coldest I've run in is about 25 degrees. I wore shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt. I was not cold after the first 5 minutes. When it's snowy or slushy, I swap out the running shoes for work boots. I think if run in colder weather, I'll throw on a hoodie too ..
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this is the first year I've actually gotten outside in the winter to run. So I can understand all your questions.
    First off, I only run outside when it's light out, so usually only on weekends of an occasional weekday.
    My first layer is a long sleeve wicking material top and my usual wicking material pants. Then comes another long sleeve, wicking material jacket, then last is a bright colored outer sweatshirt type hoodie. If it's really cold (below 32) I add another bottom or capri length. For socks, my first layer is wicking, then a second layer, something synthetic. I wear my extra running shoes, the ones I don't care if they get dirty. I do wish they had better tread, however.
    I have a running hat for winter and wicking gloves as well. I also wish I had some sort of face cover cus my cheeks get cold.
    Happy Running.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I ran 12 miles yesterday in northern Manitoba (Canada) at 0 degrees F and sub-zero windchill. I wore:

- merino wool half zip (Icebreaker brand)
    - merino wool funnel scarf (Icebreaker brand)
    - merino wool underwear (Icebreaker brand)
    - CWX compression tights (non-insulated)
    - wind blocking, lightly lined pants over tights (Brooks brand)
    - down jacket with zip vents (I never thought I would wear down for running but it cuts down on layers -- brand: Lululemon)
    - wicking hat
    - wool socks (from Costco)
    - dime store gloves that I have had for over 10 years
    - head lamp (it was dark -- I have a Black Diamond sprinter but I have found that Black Diamond spot works well, too)

I was cold for about 5 minutes but then warmed up well.

If you find that after your run, your hands are ice cold (and you wore gloves/mittens), you probably are not dressing properly. Your body pulls blood away from your extremities (like hands) to keep your vital organs in your core warm. If your body is not having a problem keeping your core warm (because you dressed properly), your hands should be warm/normal temp after a run.

Good luck!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You have gotten plenty of great tips with this question. I would add three items:

1. Run close to home. Being out 5 miles from home and twisting an ankle, or falling, is asking for trouble.

2. Run with your cellphone easily accessible.

3. Let someone know your route.