How to exercise on a road trip?

Options
hi all! i'm starting a 10-day road trip on thursday, and i'm nervous about not getting enough exercise. we are going to be driving 10-13 hours most days, so i was hoping you guys may have some good "car exercise" ideas. we will be stopping to do some hiking a couple of times, but i want to get in all that i can. thanks for the help!!

Replies

• Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you make rest stops run around until your out of breath or jumping jacks or squats...only takes a few mintues but it will feel like a workout!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, squats, jumping jacks, pushups, lunges. You may feel silly and people will look at you like your crazy, but who cares?? :happy: You can step up and down on a bench or rock (it's like step aerobics).

Do you have a heart rate monitor? Having one really helps me. I took my son to the park over the weekend and wore my heart rate monitor... we played for 30 - 40 minutes, I kept my heart rate over 100bpm the entire time and burned over 250 calories. I just ran around like a fool with him, jumping up and down, stepping up and down on benches.

Good luck!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    I would do some walking around at the rest stops even. Even 15 minutes is better than nothing. I don't know of any actual exercises to do in the car though. Snacks were my problem - I made sure to pack healthy choice instead of the usual chips or other junk food. Enjoy your trip!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You can also do ab crunches while you are driving! You just keep good posture, flex and squeeze your abs, and do a little crunch. Do right side, left side and middle. Bring hand weights and do bicep curls (and whatever arm exercises you have room for in the car or when you get out).
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I did jumping jacks every time we stopped on my last trip....
  • lrmoore13
    Options
    If you are staying in hotels, and they are multilevel, run the stairs. Run to the top, do 20 push ups. Run down, do 20 sit ups. Repeat until 20 minutes expires. It's as good as any gym workout I have ever done!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that lived in virginia and Biggest loser visited there and she heard jillian say if you can not exercise that day make sure you do 50 crunches and 50 pushups.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of traveling during the spring/summer with my work. If you are staying in hotels over the ten day trip, you may find that many of them have free fitness rooms. While all the suggestions you've received are good ones, I just wanted to throw this into the mix. When I was traveling I made a point to ask at check-in if they had fitness facilities ~ sometimes just them saying, "yes, we do," made me want to go see what they had. Not all fitness rooms are created equally...lol! Even if you only spend 20-30 minutes there, you will feel like you did something great for yourself by seeking out the possibilities.

Have a great trip! :happy:
  • bpclark
    bpclark Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all of your replies - i'm feeling a lot less nervous now!!!