Why am I not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Redemption23
    Options
    I am working out and losing fat but I weight the same as i did when i wasn't losing weight why is that?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Work out for 2 hours per day?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I am working out and losing fat but I weight the same as i did when i wasn't losing weight why is that?

You're gaining muscle? Perfect!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I seem to lose weight slowly and it can be frustrating, but you have to take other things into account as well. How are your stress and energy levels since you started working out? Are you sleeping enough? Over all are you starting to feel better?

I also agree with weighing and measuring your food. Losing weight is a big commitment and it takes time to get into a routine. It would help us all if your diary was made public, but for now, all I can tell you is that 2 weeks is not enough time to really get a handle on your weight loss routine and eating habits. It's enough time to start changing them, but breaking habits and learning to limit takes much longer. My suggestion is to make some small goals. Some of my friends on my FL have these amazingly detailed goals where they want to lose BF% and lift a certain weight, and run marathons. I have learned I am not them. My goals right now are to focus on pre planning my meals, eating more balanced, and figuring out a workout schedule and routine that fits my busy life.

Also, depending on what your exercise routine is, 1200 calories may not be enough. I know you said 1500 is also what you eat at, but again without an open diary it's hard to see how much and how often.

Don't give up! Don't overwhelm yourself. Start small and work your way into learning what works for you.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise calories? If so, maybe you're overestimating your burns.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    It always seems to be people who just started a fairly aggressive new exercise program that are the ones dealing with scale freeze. Assuming you're being honest and accurate with your calories, it has to be water retention related to exercise. Keep going and you'll see a loss. No one is immune to the calories-in, calories-out rule.

Either this ^ or this > http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'2" and 170lbs. I've been working out for at least an hour 5-6 days for the past two weeks and I just recently trimmed my calorie intake to 1,200-1,500 calories. I know it's too soon for a noticeable difference but I have not lost any weight at all and it's quite demotivating. Is this normal?
    This could be normal, however, 2 weeks seems like a little long to not notice any changes. I can tell you that the advice du jour, and it absolutely works, will be the following:

1. Weigh and take measurements around the same time. A generalized consensus is to do it in the morning, sans clothes and after first bathroom visit.
    2. Reassess your calorie calculations. We all struggle to report accurately.
    3. Reassess your calorie burn on exercise, if you are eating back your calories. It is so incredibly easy to over estimate.
    4. Take measurements. Often times they will show you change is occurring when weight alone is not providing evidence.
    5. Stick With It! You didn't arrive here in two weeks. It takes time. There will be plateaus that are perfectly normal.

You are not alone is struggling with disappointment about beginning results. This takes commitment and effort. You are already past the hard part; getting of your mental duff and starting. You can do this.

^^ +1 All of this information is important and well put. I would invest in a kitchen scale (This change my entire view on portion size), weight everything. If you are eating back your exercise calories, I would invest in a HRM. I find that they are more accurate with calories burned than just relying on the machine. :) Stick with it! You can do this.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    you may be eating more than you think. i lost a bunch in the first month. 20 pounds. but i also started at a much heavier weight than you and dropped calories to 1400. and just walked. walked and walked and walked.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your concern, since I have exactly the same one. I feel my metabolism is simply dead. I am NOT a couch potato, and I don't sit around eating bonbons, but the scale does not want to budge. In my logging, I dropped the caloric burn today from the 600's that it mentions for jazzercise to 250. I have been doing that since I started logging (putting in a smaller number than is mentioned), thinking there is no way that I burn that much in exercise. I am tracking like a hawk and being very careful with inputting, so please include your progress after following any of the suggestions these folks gave you so I can see there is hope. I am getting out the measuring tape, since in the past I have been on plans where I followed it exactly, and was the only one who did not lose weight, but did lose fat. This slow weight loss does feel exasperating at times. Also, I am logging very carefully since I want to see what a practitioner tells me when I show them what I have been eating and the way I lose weight like a turtle. I simply do not believe in the calorie in, calorie out thing. That is science from the past. All calories are simply not created equal. One thing I am noticing is that my sugar grams are higher than what fitness pal says they should be and sugar is sugar, regardless if I am getting it from carrot juice or a candy bar, so I am going to try and eat less fruits and carrot juice and really pay more attention to the sugar grams in everything to see what I can do in that area, since my calories are good, and all the other elements are good, including exercise. Thanks again.

All calories are the same, but not all people are. The calorie consumption equation assumes everyone keeps their thermostat at the same temperature, that two people of the same age are equally active, that two people of the same weight have the same relative amounts of muscle and fat, etc. It gets you in the neighborhood of the correct amount, but small differences add up if you're actually measuring. I'm one of the lucky people who burns more calories than the equation says, but other people will burn less. If you've been measuring carefully, make a graph of what your weight was and what it should have been as time went on, and you should hopefully see a difference in slope that shows you what your actual consumption is.

BTW, most of your calories go to keeping your body warm. Exercise outside and peel off layers as you get warm. You'll burn a lot more calories if you are losing heat to the environment.

I kinda of forgot about that, with it being frigid cold out and my room having a draft I work out with a thin long sleeve shirt on and a sweatshirt on. Some days I sweat more then other and yes Im talking about the same routine. Some days I do amp it up and other days I dont but couldnt figure out if Im using the same amount of clothing to work out in why some days Im sweating more then others and Im talking about the days that I dont amp it up. Thought well maybe Im not pushing my self more then thats why im not sweating as much.....When I work out today Ill try to just do my thin shirt and see if thats why