New to the board with a quick question...

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and I first have to say I love this website! It has helped me maintain some disipline when it comes time to eat and actually see how healthy/unhealthy food items are, sadly some of my favorites!

As it looks like the population is 80% woman to 20% men on this website ( correct me if I'm wrong )and I have been reading many posts about weight loss, but most of them are woman related. How much is normal for a guy to lose? I heard off biggest loser men will drop weight more easily then men.I ask this because when I started this program about 5 days ago I weighed 261, well today I weighed 253. This is kind of alarming yet kind of rewarding. My fear is that soon I will barely lose any ( life story huh? ) or that I am doing something wrong. I work out 4 times a week now, eat all those hated greens, and switched from good old steak to yard bird chicken.

Any guys/gals want to chime in with their opinion or past experience? I love that I am actually seeing results but fear their might be something wrong with my diet. I don't tend to eat all my 1800 calories a day as I don't always feel hungry and dont want to force more calories if my body is fine with what it has. I usually have anywhere from 400-900 calories left a day, although I've been noticing that my proteins have been going over recently:frown: by about 10-25 a day.

Any advice would be a great help, this whole diet shinanigans is new to me :laugh:

Thanks,
Pat

Replies

• barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and I first have to say I love this website! It has helped me maintain some disipline when it comes time to eat and actually see how healthy/unhealthy food items are, sadly some of my favorites!

As it looks like the population is 80% woman to 20% men on this website ( correct me if I'm wrong )and I have been reading many posts about weight loss, but most of them are woman related. How much is normal for a guy to lose? I heard off biggest loser men will drop weight more easily then men.I ask this because when I started this program about 5 days ago I weighed 261, well today I weighed 253. This is kind of alarming yet kind of rewarding. My fear is that soon I will barely lose any ( life story huh? ) or that I am doing something wrong. I work out 4 times a week now, eat all those hated greens, and switched from good old steak to yard bird chicken.

Any guys/gals want to chime in with their opinion or past experience? I love that I am actually seeing results but fear their might be something wrong with my diet. I don't tend to eat all my 1800 calories a day as I don't always feel hungry and dont want to force more calories if my body is fine with what it has. I usually have anywhere from 400-900 calories left a day, although I've been noticing that my proteins have been going over recently:frown: by about 10-25 a day.

Any advice would be a great help, this whole diet shinanigans is new to me :laugh:

Thanks,
    Pat
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Well weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs or so..... water and waste weight. So you probably didn't lose as much fat as you're reading.... BUT it sounds like you certainly lost your fair share :wink: Do try to eat ALL of your calories or you will risk putting your body into starvation mode, hence wreaking havoc on your metabolism and making weight loss VERY difficult. Good luck, and welcome! :drinker:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Going over in your proteins has adverse effects. Of course this is relative to your exercise level:
    Source:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

* Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    * Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ah I was looking at my intake and I found a quick fix for the carb shortage, my secret is BANANA'S! Hehe I am going to be the next King Kong! Thanks for all the input, hopefully it all goes well.