How do I go from nothing to a half marathon?

Options
I basically want to be able run 10km by June, but I'm a swimmer, not a runner. And my leg muscles hurt after running. A lot. So it's making it hard to build up to running long distance because I have to take off so many days to let my legs heal.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Unless running is supposed to hurt. Any suggestions for how to start??

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've heard very good things about the Couch to 5K program. It's free online.

As for the pain, could it be soreness? The good thing about soreness is that it goes away with time, that is, you stop feeling it as much - if at all after a little while.

Just start slow, try the Courch to 5K program. It should get you there.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Running hurts me too, but I do it anyway. Sometimes when I get out of bed I feel like a sack of broken bones.

So, now I run once or twice a week, instead of every other day. On my off days I use the elliptical b/c it's not as hard on my bones. And I've started taking glucosamine with MSM and that has helped some of the joint aches.
  • ItsABadger
    ItsABadger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out :)

I just don't want to hurt myself!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You won't if you take the time to ramp up your activity. Couch to 5k has you start by walking for 20 minutes I think, so you'll be fine.

Also, put some money into a good pair of shoes that you got fitted at a running shop. That'll go a LONG way towards keeping you injury free.
  • ItsABadger
    ItsABadger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You won't if you take the time to ramp up your activity. Couch to 5k has you start by walking for 20 minutes I think, so you'll be fine.

Also, put some money into a good pair of shoes that you got fitted at a running shop. That'll go a LONG way towards keeping you injury free.

Thank you :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running should not hurt. You are going too fast, too far, have bad form or bad shoes. Or a combination of all of that. Look up c25k and good form, pose or chi running.