push ups vs pull ups

Options
Hey I can do 20 good form slow push ups but I can't even do one good pull up (palms away). I can manage a chin up but only one.
I think this could be a bit of an imbalance that I have, anyone got advice how to sort this?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    More back exercises.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lifting your body weight can be hard. Try jumping to the top of pullup position (all the way up) and then let yourself down slowly. Do this 2-5 times.

Also, Lat pulldowns and rows will help with your back strength.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Lat pulldowns, Rows - with various grips - BB\Cable\DB

Chin ups will help as well - They'll help build the biceps\Lats, which will carry over to the pull-ups

Oh, and Pullups!! Just as you can't do one now, no harm in keeping training them
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    More back exercises.

Exactly.

Push Ups - Use mostly Chest, Triceps, & Shoulders.

Pull Ups - Use mostly Back (Lats) w/assistance from Shoulders & Arms.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying - there was a time when I could only do one pullup. I can now do sets of 15.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like the negative pull-up suggested above. I also used a chair-assist to help me through the trouble zone. I am up to 5 unassisted pull-ups, and 7 unassisted chin-ups.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's not much of an imbalance. Pull ups are much harder than push ups, especially if you're overweight. Just sayin the "imbalance" isn't really an issue. Train back and pull ups to get better, as everyone says.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like the negative pull-up suggested above. I also used a chair-assist to help me through the trouble zone. I am up to 5 unassisted pull-ups, and 7 unassisted chin-ups.

Another technique, if you have a buddy, Do you pullup and have your buddy help you through the dead zones by pushing on the center of your back. Friend should only be adding 10-25 lbs of assistance.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I would expect most people to be able to nail many more pushups than pullups. And it is usually the case that chins end up being easier than pull-ups. Pull-ups are kind of a doozie. Just keep working at them, either with your weight offset somehow or by doing negative reps.

If you need to work on your back, you can do things like rows and deadlift.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying to do them man.... you will get better the more you do.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can do 50 push ups and just about 2 pull ups, you can't really compare the two!

Keep at it, I never thought I'd even do one.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well for one, they are very different movements. One is a push motion, and the other is a pull, which means they use different muscle groups.

Just keep at it, and use one of those assisted pullup machines if your gym has one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well for one, they are very different movements. One is a push motion, and the other is a pull, which means they use different muscle groups.

Just keep at it, and use one of those assisted pullup machines if your gym has one.

this.

I was typing this and apparently the internet ate it.

They are useless in comparing each other. It's just waste of time.

agree
    netagives
    BB rows
    DB rows
    Inverted rows/pull ups
    lat pulls
    assisted band
    assisted machine (should be the last on the list of "helpful)
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I prefer push-ups over pull ups they are faster and easier to do. I do 20 minutes of push ups in the morning when I wake up and 20 minutes at night before I go to bed
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Here's a good video on working up to doing pullups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

this.

I was typing this and apparently the internet ate it.

They are useless in comparing each other. It's just waste of time.

agree
    netagives
    BB rows
    DB rows
    Inverted rows/pull ups
    lat pulls
    assisted band
    assisted machine (should be the last on the list of "helpful)

People seem to hate on the assisted pullup machine, but it seemed to work just fine for me - by the time I was doing them unassisted, I had worked up to 8-10 on the last 'weight' on the machine and yes, it is shocking how few you can do unassisted, but its all about balance and training those assistance muscles, just dont be too dissapointed when you find you can only do three after being able to crack out 10 no problem on the assisted machine.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You're dealing with leverage. Even though your back muscles are bigger, you're trying to move your full body weight. Try doing a pull when the bar is only about 3 ft from the ground (feet on the ground and pulling back like a row). You'll notice you can do some of those (maybe as many as you can do pushups).

It sounds like you have a new goal to work toward (a great one by the way). Assisted pull ups and other back exercises (heavy as you can go) will help you develop to a point you can work in some pull ups. And work from there.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I prefer push-ups over pull ups they are faster and easier to do. I do 20 minutes of push ups in the morning when I wake up and 20 minutes at night before I go to bed

That's fine and good, but one is not a substitute for the other. They are opposite movements, using completely different muscle groups.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    In this video Scooby shows you how to work up to performing pull-ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0