Turning to Pilates/Yoga

Options
I used to do very high intense workout, such as T25, Turbo Fire, but I was recently diagnose with absence seizures. They only seemed to happened during these workout.

I have now turned to Pilates and yoga. Are these effective workouts? Can I lose weight on them? Is there a certain meal plan that you need to eat to lose weight with pilates/yoga?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yes - depends what you want out of your exercise program. There are plenty of people I know that only do yoga for exercise and they are in great shape.

You can lose weight without doing any exercise at all, if you're diet is right. Find a diet that works for you - one you can stick with for the longest period of time.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No "special" diet, but if you are eatinga at a deficit and tracking all food through MFP, in addition to Pilaties and/or Yoga, you will lose weight.

I have lost about 30 pounds with walking, yoga and pilates as my only exercise. Yoga and pilates both have various styles of practice, but are generally focused on flexibility and body resistence strength, rather than weights or cardio (like the workouts you mentioned you were doing before.) I'd recommend trying a few different types or instructors to get a feel of what you like and what works for you.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    They can be great workouts. Some of the fittest people I know do ashtanga yoga and nothing else.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes I do both Pilates and Yoga with gym routines, and I have found that I have more muscle definition since doing Pilates and Yoga, it is really good and hopefully you will enjoy it :)
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank You Suzyfj8,catatomi99, jbee27, I really appreciate it. You helped a lot.

I just order yoga video. I do have weights. I guess I will sticks to body weights. Thanks so much everyone.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I started incorporating yoga/ pilates into my regular routines & have had fantastic results physically & mentally. I usually search for routines on youtube. Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown is on youtube & it's an excellent workout. It incorporates yoga & light cardio (if you are able to do that). But yoga & pilates is a must in my workout at least twice a week. Great way to tone up! Good luck!