The "Fast" Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the "Fast" diet? I got a book on it at the library and the diet revolves around "fasting" 2 days a week to lose 1-2 pounds a week. It's not really a fast, because you eat 500-600 calories a day on fast days. The rest of the week you eat normally. But that's where I get into trouble. "Normally" for me is a gray area and I'm afraid if I fast 2 days, I will naturally overeat on the other 5 days. Has anyone tried this diet? If so, how did it work for you?

Replies

• stormie1985
    Options
    I'm super against fasting in any form to lose weight. Your metabolism slows down when you don't eat enough food which typically ranges around at least 1100-1300 per day or depending on your size and how much weight you're wanting to lose. (The more you have to lose, the more calories you need in order to keep your body from entering starvation mode). Sounds counter productive to me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It was unsuitable for me too, as a former binge eater.

It's not a one size suits all but certainly worth a try. Actual fasting taught me not to freak out when I couldn't eat however many times a day due to work. (But I could never handle re entry.)
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. your metabolism will not slow down if you eat little or nothing for one day. It takes much longer for that process to take effect.

2. eating "normal" means eating at maintenance. For most overweight people, "normal" is actually above maintenance, which is why they have gained weight. Bottom line, you still have to count calories. You can't just eat whatever you want on the non-fast days.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm super against fasting in any form to lose weight. Your metabolism slows down when you don't eat enough food which typically ranges around at least 1100-1300 per day or depending on your size and how much weight you're wanting to lose. (The more you have to lose, the more calories you need in order to keep your body from entering starvation mode). Sounds counter productive to me.

*sigh* You won't enter "starvation mode". It's a complete myth that this even exists at all.

Fasting is used commonly by people who have had lots of success. It doesn't do it for me, but you'll find plenty of people here who use it successfully to lose and maintain weight.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i have been on and off this diet for a while. like many diets, it works if you work it. i have just been on my weight loss road for a while now and naturally i need breaks from it now and again. if you are not sure how much to eat on feast days you can go to an online calculator and figure out your general maintenance calories. when i have gone off this diet i did not re gain what i lost. be wary of people on this diet who eat low calories on feast days, i know a bunch of people who do 5:2 but only eat 1200-1500 on feast days as well, so when trying to get opinions of this diet make sure its from people who actually followed it how it was designed, which is to not diet during those 5 days. Also the 5:2 website is great for resources and faqs and they have a calculator on the site to, so you can see their estimates as to how much you should be eating on fast and feast days.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about overeating, practice logging your intake on MFP every day of the week until it becomes a habit. That way you will know exactly how much you're eating, and whether you're overindulging the other 5 days. Definitely give it a try and see what happens!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Go away, troll.

Fasting/Intermittent fasting is fantastic. Anyone who thinks humans are actually MEANT to eat every day is misguided.

ETA: Science. Your body will not begin to have a "starvation response" until you have gone 4-5 days with no food whatsoever. Days 2 and 3 of ZERO food, your resting metabolism will actually be running about 30% FASTER than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
  • RayBoy76
    RayBoy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to zigzagging, which I do often. It takes a while for your body to get used to a certain amount of calories. I have at least on day a week that I have negative calorie intake due to exercise and eating.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I fast 3 days a week for 40 hours each time and I eat nothing at all during those days. I eat normal maintain mode of 2000 or more on other days (remember I then have 3000 calories per fast day due to working out as well) and so I have 9000 calories a week to play with as extra.

Should mention it's been about 4 months for me doing this so far...could be longer.... and it's super easy.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes i have heard of it
    And yes i tried it..and it worked.whatever people may think..its not for everyone..try it and see what you think.
    In the past i would eat mindlessly or if i was bored etc but the 2 days a week fast gave me sone control and i liked the routne of having 2 days only where i would eat less.
    I stopped eating that way and have been doing 8 hour fast each day but im thinking of doing 5:2 again.
    If it works 4 u great..if not..try something else.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It was unsuitable for me too, as a former binge eater.

this
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Go away, troll.

Fasting/Intermittent fasting is fantastic. Anyone who thinks humans are actually MEANT to eat every day is misguided.

Well, that escalated quickly. Sure, the poster was dead wrong, but it probably didn't warrant that level of hostility in your reply.

Maybe you're hungry.

I thought labeling it as a troll was nicer than the alternative ..
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    You can lose 1-2 pounds a week by eating 1400-1600 calories and working out. If that's a fast diet by losing 1-2lbs a week. What's the slow one???
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fast as in fasting, eating a low number of calories, not fast as in quick. It's most certainly not a quick method- a pound a week is the average loss.

There's 2 groups here on mfp for 5:2ers, I can't link at the minute but if you search groups you'll find them. Lots of useful advice and support on them.

Not suitable for everyone, but has advantages above and beyond weight loss for those who find a way to do it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes there's loads of people doing it - it's worked brilliantly for me both when losing weight and also at maintenance.

Started August 2012 and intend carrying on indefinitely.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

As has been stated already.....BULL!
  • One_Fur_luck
    Options
    I fast 3 days a week for 40 hours each time and I eat nothing at all during those days. I eat normal maintain mode of 2000 or more on other days (remember I then have 3000 calories per fast day due to working out as well) and so I have 9000 calories a week to play with as extra.

Should mention it's been about 4 months for me doing this so far...could be longer.... and it's super easy.
    wow.