Quick survey! Help please!

Options
WalkingAlong
WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
Will you help my daughter with her science fair project?

Imagine you found this wallet in the mall. Would you return it to mall security intact, without the money, or not at all? Be honest!

A wallet with $3 and a jr high school ID?
A wallet with $15 and an adult ID?
A wallet with $3 and no ID at all?
A wallet with $15 and no ID at all?

Thanks! (I know this is most likely to reap all "I'd return them all" responses but who knows? I don't want her actually putting out wallets!)

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I return things unopened. Never know what's in there.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'd turn them in regardless of what they have in them. Whatever's in there doesn't belong to me and someone is missing it.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I would return it. No matter what.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Return it.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Will you help my daughter with her science fair project?

Imagine you found this wallet in the mall. Would you return it to mall security intact, without the money, or not at all? Be honest!

A wallet with $3 and a jr high school ID?
    A wallet with $15 and an adult ID?
    A wallet with $3 and no ID at all?
    A wallet with $15 and no ID at all?

Thanks! (I know this is most likely to reap all "I'd return them all" responses but who knows? I don't want her actually putting out wallets!)

I would turn it into security regardless of what was inside. I wouldn't even open it.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Thanks!

I actually found a $20 in an ATM once and walked it into the bank and said, "Here's my number, if someone walks up and says 'Hey I walked away from the ATM without my $20 today!" They looked at me like I was nuts. :laugh:
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Turn it in the way I found it.
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I'd return them all, without taking anything from them.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would return it no matter what. I usually look for ID and if I find the person on the way to lost and found, then great (this has happened to me twice so far. Once as DisneyQuest in Florida I found a bag from the gift shop and it had photo booth photos of some young teenage girls; we found the girls and they were so happy that we found their bag because one of their wallets was also in the bag with all the expensive gift shop purchases. A few days after that (still at Disney) I bought the kids ice cream from one of those carts and left my wallet there and walked away without even thinking and the next person in line ran after me to give me back my wallet (they could have easily just picked it up like it was their own). There are still honest people out there.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Would return!

Curious to know if anyone would be interested to take it.. like you mentioned, you never know!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Not return any of them to Mall Security. I have a more cynical view of Mall Security than the rest of you seem to have.

I expect that the folks at Security would just take the money. If the owner actually shows up, Security would say "It came back with no money" and the owner would never be the wiser.

So I would probably report to security that I had found the wallet, and tell them that the person who owned the wallet could contact me. But I would not report the contents other than the name on the ID, or that the wallet lacked an ID. Let the person who lost the wallet describe the contents to me.

For the wallets with no ID, however, unless there is something else in the wallet (perhaps the design, or shape, or color of the wallet itself) that the rightful owner can identify, then there is no way that Security could return the wallet to the rightful owner anyway. Likewise, there is no way that I could identify the rightful owner. In such cases, the wallet and money are available to be homesteaded.

You need to make the problem more interesting. The difference between $3 and $15 is trivial. What if the difference is $3 for your junior high student and $600 for a Wall Street Banker with a Platinum Card? And what if your home recently got foreclosed and the bankers refused to negotiate or extend your payments? And what if you could turn it in to someone of unimpeachable honesty, as is (apparently) everyone on MFP, rather than turn it in to the potentially ethically challenged folks in mall security?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Straight to the nearest mall security guard. Same with lost jewelry. "Thou shalt not steal" wasn't a suggestion. :happy: At the hospital I work for, it goes straight to the nearest information desk/nurses' station to get picked up by security. (Security is only close to the ER.) I did put an earring that was in the floor by the time clock on top of it though. I figured the owner would retrace her steps and find it and no one else would step on it that way.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would return the wallet with all the situations. It always comes back to you for being honest. I have have left phones and purses behind that have been returned with everything in them. I believe that's from my honesty. I was at an ATM machine that wasn't cleared out from the car before me. Just being nosey I did a balance inquiry. There was either $3000 or $6000 in the account that I could have taken but I just cleared it out even though I def needed. It's just the right thing to do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Not return any of them to Mall Security. I have a more cynical view of Mall Security than the rest of you seem to have.

I expect that the folks at Security would just take the money. If the owner actually shows up, Security would say "It came back with no money" and the owner would never be the wiser.

So I would probably report to security that I had found the wallet, and tell them that the person who owned the wallet could contact me. But I would not report the contents other than the name on the ID, or that the wallet lacked an ID. Let the person who lost the wallet describe the contents to me.

For the wallets with no ID, however, unless there is something else in the wallet (perhaps the design, or shape, or color of the wallet itself) that the rightful owner can identify, then there is no way that Security could return the wallet to the rightful owner anyway. Likewise, there is no way that I could identify the rightful owner. In such cases, the wallet and money are available to be homesteaded.

You need to make the problem more interesting. The difference between $3 and $15 is trivial. What if the difference is $3 for your junior high student and $600 for a Wall Street Banker with a Platinum Card? And what if your home recently got foreclosed and the bankers refused to negotiate or extend your payments? And what if you could turn it in to someone of unimpeachable honesty, as is (apparently) everyone on MFP, rather than turn it in to the potentially ethically challenged folks in mall security?

2mdmbo2.jpg