Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

130 pounds lost in 4 months?!!! How the Heck!

khk2010
khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone read the Allure Magazine September issue about Jen Ramey who worked with Angelo Sorrenti to lose weight? She lost 60 pounds in the first month! She went on to lose 130 pounds in 4 months going from 240 to 110 pounds. Says she has no loose skin issues and looks and feels great. She went about her normal life while on his plan, worked, and worked out. The article seems credible but…

How is that even possible?!!!
That is over 8 pounds a week. I'm lucky to lose 1-2 a week!

Thoughts? Comments?

Replies

• bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    What was this person's starting weight? I know that if someone goes from an extremely unhealthy lifestyle to drastic changes over night the weight can drop pretty quickly. If you've ever seen The Biggest Loser, that is what those contestants bank on. The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to drop.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I haven't heard this until you posted. BUT I don't think its healthy at all...as soon as you stop that lifestyle of eating low cal stuff and or exercising a ton everyday you will gain weight back--all of it if not more! In order to lose that much that quick you either are not eating much or exersicing most of the day--I don't know about you but I don't have more than 1 hour a day to exersice let alone 8-10 to burn as many calories to loose that quickly! and I enjoy my food-even the healthy ones and I am happy with a slow loss that will be easier to maintain in the long run.
  • melissafritts
    melissafritts Posts: 3 Member
    I mean it is possible. If you've ever watched that show "Biggest Loser" you see that sometimes they lose 8 or 10 pounds a week but sometimes they only lose 2. They are working really hard and pushing themselves to limits they haven't ever been to before and that's showing in the weight loss. You also have to realize though that they have the weight to lose. The fitter you are and the smaller you are the harder it becomes to lose bigger number. Don't psych yourself out by what you see on TV or read in a magazine, even though it is POSSIBLE, it is very difficult to do and it may not happen for you depending on your size and weight. Also, remember it is only recommended to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week.

Melissa
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    That just doesn't seem healthy to me.:huh: The skin issue also, that a BIG drop in weight in a very small time period. Hmmm...
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    What was this person's starting weight? I know that if someone goes from an extremely unhealthy lifestyle to drastic changes over night the weight can drop pretty quickly. If you've ever seen The Biggest Loser, that is what those contestants bank on. The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to drop.

I've read that a lot of the contestants would dehydrate themselves before weighins so that they dropped all the water weight, ate minimal etc...as soon as the show was over a lot of them gained a large amount of weight back as soon as they had regular water/food intakes...the best way to lose is slow and steady!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Sorry to be suspicious but: lap band surgery? I hope I'm wrong and that she found a miracle support system or resoved a health issue that prevented her from losing in the past. But that's not normal/healthy unless on the biggest loser and under doctor supervision. BUT I am happy for her and hope she keeps up mentaly to the weight loss. Our brains need the time to sort it out how we did this to ourselves, and why, and how to leap these hurdles in the future. This support group is one fun way to get insight. Thanks everyone.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    There is NO way to lose that much in 4 months and there NOT be hanging skin. I demand nude photos. =)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    There is NO way to lose that much in 4 months and there NOT be hanging skin. I demand nude photos. =)

LOL! me too. I want NUDE pics!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member

LOL! me too. I want NUDE pics!

Ewww. not me! I DO NOT want the nude photos! LOL!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    I also read an article about the Biggest Loser where Jillian was quoted as saying they only film on certain days so the weight you would see them lose in a week wasn't really a week. Sometimes it would be 10 - 14 days apart.

Also read as well that they would severely dehydrate themselves to drop the water weight to the point where it was unhealthy. Even though Jillian and Bob knew about it they could only advise them against it.

And the contestents on the BL also worked out 6 - 8 hours a day. I don't have time for that.

I agree, that it would be hard to lose that much weight and not have excess skin. :noway:
  • Speaking from experience. I lost 10 (near 11) stone in 6 months.

I almost killed myself doing it and put every pound back on as I wasn't giving myself a foundation for what I did AFTER I lost the weight. It's possible. But it's probably not safe. Slow and steady.
  • sjdjnd20
    sjdjnd20 Posts: 17
    I dont see how that is possible! Why lose it so fast if you are going to put it right back on? and usually when it is put back on, you put on more than what you had in the first place..I know from experience!!!

I started this program about a week ago I think and have lost 4 lbs..yeah, its more than the 2 lbs per week and im worried about losing to fast, but I do get near my calorie requirement! I have been trying to eat things that I know I can stick with when im done losing the weight in order to maintain my weight. That woman probable did things that she will not be able to stick with for the long term! So its good right now, but she may gain it back!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member

TOO FUNNY!!!:bigsmile:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Speaking from experience. I lost 10 (near 11) stone in 6 months.

I almost killed myself doing it and put every pound back on as I wasn't giving myself a foundation for what I did AFTER I lost the weight. It's possible. But it's probably not safe. Slow and steady.

Thanks Steve,
    That's my point. We got ourselves overweight by not recognising the need to look after ourselves. We need to change the way we think along the way, so that we are prepared for the lifetime lifestyle.
    You've gained that insight, so this time it will stick.
This discussion has been closed.