Same food but different cal? Which one to choose?

Options
Wingg_
Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
I'm kind of confused with the calories available because for example boiled(in water) skinless boneless chicken breast for 100g some state 156cal while the other is 115 cal which one should I choose? I know it may not sound like there's a much different but if I eat it everyday it builds up can it can make a huge difference as I'm trying to figure out my maintenance calorie intake now. I would appreciate your help!

Replies

• red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    yes i find a lot of calories on here are different. if its for a lot of calories i always try to find the nutritional information myself online. if i look online and still cant find anything i either go for the higher number just to be safe or i add the different numbers together, divide by two and use that.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Some may include rib meat while others are just breast. I would check it against the pkging or the FDA data base.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I find the info myself online then find an entry that matches. for real food (ie, fresh produce with no ingredients) I try and use the MFP entries, not the ones entered by a member. if I can't find one that matches the data I find on line, I put it in myself.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Well, to start with meat should be weighed raw, there's too much variance in cooking methods for a cooked version to be correct. Generally the entry without an * will be the more accurate because it isn't user entered.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Well, to start with meat should be weighed raw, there's too much variance in cooking methods for a cooked version to be correct. Generally the entry without an * will be the more accurate because it isn't user entered.

So I'm supposed to weigh the meat raw even if the entry says it's boiled?
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

No, if the nutritional info says it's cooked, it needs to be weighed cooked. You can probably get a more accurate calorie count if you weigh your meat raw, but that isn't always an option. If you were to do that, though, you would need to find the entry for the raw form. As others said, always try to find the entry without an asterisk, and you'll likely get the most accurate one.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yes i find a lot of calories on here are different. if its for a lot of calories i always try to find the nutritional information myself online. if i look online and still cant find anything i either go for the higher number just to be safe or i add the different numbers together, divide by two and use that.

I do exactly the same thing. I think sometimes people start to see weight creep on because they accidentally underestimate the calories they are consuming...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I googled all my foods and added them myself because the MFP database is terrible "1/4 piece of chicken breast with sauce" What the hell is that supposed to be anyway!?
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What the staff here really needs to do is clean up that database some... Sometimes I go to nutritiondata.self.com to check, since their database is a bit more accurate overall.
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    just a reason for them to start charging a fee.

i go with the highest number of confirmations
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

You can go with whatever you want but most of those types of entries were made by users so you use them at your peril.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Thanks for all the advices!!