Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Note: I already posted this on another thread, but wanted to put it on this one as well so that it might be visible to more people. So apologies if it's a repeat for some of you!

Hi everyone, I was wondering if others have had experiences (good or bad) with using meal replacement shakes. Firstly, I wanted to know if anyone had any particular brands that they thought were either great or ones to definitely stay away from. Price is somewhat of an issue but I'm willing to spend a little extra for something that has great reviews from real people (read: not spokespeople). I also wanted to ask your opinions about when/for which meal you use them. It seems as though most people use them for breakfast or lunch, but I was thinking of trying to use them for dinner 5-6 times a week. The reasoning is that whenever I'm eating well/healthy, I always do a great job during the day with breakfast and lunch. When dinner hits it's a HUGE struggle for me, especially when my boyfriend makes these tasty but not so healthy dinners. He's pretty skinny so asking him to diet with me would not really work out, and honestly I don't want to ask him to change his meals just because I'm trying to lose some weight. I was thinking if I had a plan and eventual routine to just have a shake, and stay away from the kitchen/dining room during his dinner, I may be able to resist overeating. Any thoughts? I'm thinking using a MRS at dinner is rare, so I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has tried this and how it worked out! Thanks!

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    1 - 99% of the people saying good things about them are trying to sign you up in an MLM

2 - See #1
  • breahremington
    Options
    Yeah, I've definitely noticed that the bulk of good things said about them on review sites tend to be from suspicious sources. However I figured that on here I might be able to find some people that have tried it themselves and would give legitimate feedback, whether it be positive or negative. But in general/most cases I'd say you're not wrong!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Enjoying food is part of a social experience. One of the joys of my life is sitting down with my boyfriend and eating a meal. I cannot imagine giving up that part of our relationship. It is possible to eat real food and stay in your calorie levels.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    People here can give you real advise on cheaper alternatives.

Be ready for the influx of the usual suspects.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information out there, and not 1 person has ever tried to sign me up as their coach, or any multi-level marketing thing. Despite what those that are against meal replacement shakes would advise.

I used a meal replacement for 4 months to replace breakfast. Typical breakfast was peanut butter & jelly on a bagel everyday. I replaced it with a well known brand, but cut costs by ordering off ebay. Never bought from the website or a coach. I love it and would recommend the product.

I've lost 83 pounds in 6 months due to changes in diet & exercise. The meal replacement was 1 element that helped. But its not a magic button. It is simply 1 healthy choice. There is more to become healthier overall. Its not necessary to lose weight. But I found that it helped curb morning hunger, and helped to change overall cravings.
  • breahremington
    Options
    Enjoying food is part of a social experience. One of the joys of my life is sitting down with my boyfriend and eating a meal. I cannot imagine giving up that part of our relationship. It is possible to eat real food and stay in your calorie levels.

I know what you mean. For me, it really comes down to my own will power- once I start on a meal, even if my original plate has healthy portion sizes, I have a very hard time stopping when the plate is empty. That's not to say I'll never have dinner with him- I was planning on potentially using the shakes anywhere from 4-6 times a week. My thought is that perhaps if I learn to cut down at dinner time, after a while I won't have as much of an issue sticking with healthier portion sizes and stopping when I feel satisfied. I'm one of those eaters that will eat past being comfortable because I enjoy food a ridiculous amount. The shakes, I think, would just help me kick-start it. That's the hope anyways!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat real food and just stay in a calorie deficit...
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    eat real food and just stay in a calorie deficit...

totally agree...and this guy has the bod to prove it! :wink:
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    There is a lot of good information out there, and not 1 person has ever tried to sign me up as their coach, or any multi-level marketing thing. Despite what those that are against meal replacement shakes would advise.

I used a meal replacement for 4 months to replace breakfast. Typical breakfast was peanut butter & jelly on a bagel everyday. I replaced it with a well known brand, but cut costs by ordering off ebay. Never bought from the website or a coach. I love it and would recommend the product.

I've lost 83 pounds in 6 months due to changes in diet & exercise. The meal replacement was 1 element that helped. But its not a magic button. It is simply 1 healthy choice. There is more to become healthier overall. Its not necessary to lose weight. But I found that it helped curb morning hunger, and helped to change overall cravings.

We have lost the same weight and I never used a shake. And since I have been on here I get emails every day about becoming a coach, a Visalian....blah blah blah.

Hope your well known product worked for you....but there is no need to use it.
  • breahremington
    Options
    I do think in general that's good advice! But as stated above, my issue is my own willpower, and if I have real food in front of me it is very hard for me to stop at a healthy time. I know this has everything to do with my own attitude and that's part of what I have to change! My thought was that while I was figuring that out and learning more ways to basically say "no" when I'm full, the shake would be a definite contained amount of food that when finished, I couldn't easily go up to the stove and slop more onto my plate. I wouldn't necessarily want to use the shakes for the entire duration of my weight loss, but just as a kick-start (so, maybe for a month or so, and not every single day).
  • breahremington
    Options
    I do think in general that's good advice! But as stated above, my issue is my own willpower, and if I have real food in front of me it is very hard for me to stop at a healthy time. I know this has everything to do with my own attitude and that's part of what I have to change! My thought was that while I was figuring that out and learning more ways to basically say "no" when I'm full, the shake would be a definite contained amount of food that when finished, I couldn't easily go up to the stove and slop more onto my plate. I wouldn't necessarily want to use the shakes for the entire duration of my weight loss, but just as a kick-start (so, maybe for a month or so, and not every single day).

This was in reference to the "eat real food" post; I'm still figuring out how to reply to certain posts!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't ever feel full for too long when I drink a shake (unless it's a milkshake..then that's a whole other story). Also, I feel like my energy gets depleted faster and I end up having the urge and actually binge eating way more than before.

But that's my personal experience. From what I've learned, unless you are planning on doing this the rest of your life...save your money. And I understand about the lack of willpower, but good news is that you can strengthen/build that up. Think of it like a skill or a muscle. The more you use it/exercise it, the stronger and better at it you get. Trying to run away from the problem isn't going to make it go away.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have a MRS for breakfast a couple of times a week. I am just not the sort of person to get up and cook any sort of meal if I have to be somewhere in the morning, so I prefer to grab a shake instead and drink it in the car. It's low-cal, high protein, gets me some vitamins, and helps keep my macros in line. However, it is NOT filling. One of the reasons I don't mind having a shake for breakfast is that it leaves me more room for a huge meal at the end of the day. Like the poster above, eating is also a social activity for me, so I would definitely feel like I was missing out on something if I didn't participate in a meal with my family. There may be some shakes out there that are more filling, or recipes for shakes that you can make at home to keep you fuller longer, but I think I would be very depressed and hungry if I drank a MRS for dinner.

If you really think drinking a MRS for dinner will help you reach your goals and get your will power in line, then I see no harm in doing it as long as your nutritional needs are being met. The key to any diet is sustainability, so if it works in your favor, it's fine. But if you find yourself feeling hungry or deprived, I would definitely reconsider and look at other ways to control your intake. :smile:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Double posting the same thread doesn't really burn more calories, I'm sorry to say.
  • breahremington
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input so far! All good points to keep in mind.
  • breahremington
    Options
    Double posting the same thread doesn't really burn more calories, I'm sorry to say.

Sorry about that! I just joined today and didn't know it was against the guidelines. I already reported myself to get the other one deleted :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Sorry about that! I just joined today and didn't know it was against the guidelines. I already reported myself to get the other one deleted :)

Ha, no problem - we were all newbies once.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What's to stop you having a shake, then raiding the pantry? Or deciding you're still hungry and cooking or buying more food if you're out.

You need to change your relationship with real food, and that's never going to happen if you're just avoiding eating by replacing meals with shakes. Plan set meals of wholesome foods, include protein and fats with every meal along with loads of vegies and some fruit. Listen to your body. Get rid of temptations if they're that much of an issue and only eat the food you have planned. Having all your meals prepared and packed for the day may make it easier for you to stick to a plan
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How much more weight do you want to lose?

ETA: just weigh and measure your food. Log it...stop eating when you reach your calorie allotment for the day.
  • breahremington
    Options
    [/quote]How much more weight do you want to lose?
    [/quote]

I am just starting up, looking to eventually lose around 40-45 pounds.