US butter consumption reaches highest level in 40 yrs

Options
Is the fear of butter diminishing?

http://www.jsonline.com/business/us-butter-consumption-reaches-highest-level-in-40-years-b99146251z1-233963341.html?ipad=y

Quote from article:

During the past decade, Americans have increased their butter intake by 24%, according to the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.

"The last five years, butter has really taken off," said Peter Vitaliano, chief economist for the National Milk Producers Federation, an Arlington, Va., trade association. And the growth in butter consumption is expected to continue.

Butter consumption has now reached 5.6 pounds a year per capita, up from its low point of 4.1 pounds in 1997, according to the Milk Producers Federation.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped using it, never will.:smile:
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Butter is delicious! I bet the rise in use has something to do with people learning how terrible margarine and butter spreads made of hydrogenated oils are.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Butter is delicious! I bet the rise in use has something to do with people learning how terrible margarine and butter spreads made of hydrogenated oils are.

I agree
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love butter, y'all!

Seriously. Kerrigold Irish butter. Pure heaven.

I grew up in a margarine-only household and ate margarine all my life until I moved in with my man in 2012. (Since then I've gone from a D cup to a DDD--coincidence? :laugh: )
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

I agree

Me too.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Way better than margarine- but these days I use more coconut oil :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "Butter makes it taste much better, naturally!"
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    40 years ago I was 13. The world was eating oleo instead of butter, a butter replacement left over from WWII. It had nothing to do with health, it was about butter rations. You youngun's need to learn your history.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    40 years ago I was 13. The world was eating oleo instead of butter, a butter replacement left over from WWII. It had nothing to do with health, it was about butter rations. You youngun's need to learn your history.

I actually only know OLEO because it's commonly featured in crossword puzzles.

I love butter and I think I've actually reduced my butter in take. For shame.
  • bleumuffin
    Options
    Man I love melted butter on my butter sticks on top of butter containers made of butter. :heart: Paula Dean has taught me well.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Man I love melted butter on my butter sticks on top of butter containers made of butter. :heart: Paula Dean has taught me well.

That's funny
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This^^
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think the "Ew, fat! Gross!" stigma is starting to wear off. Butter is just good. There's no point in substituting it with something else.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to shun butter in favor of margarine because of how unhealthy butter supposedly was. One day I compared the ingredient lists of the two while I was shopping one day and discovered how much of a hodge-podge of various bizarre-sounding additives a tub of margarine was. I started using real, honest to god butter again shortly thereafter.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone be afraid of butter? As long as you don't eat it like a carrot, it's fine. I love butter. :smooched:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    On another forum I frequent, a poster from Britain asked why the Americans didn't butter their sandwiches. People started talking about butter/peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, butter under mayo, etc.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I'd bet if that becomes a "thing" in the US, the dairy industry will be very happy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    On another forum I frequent, a poster from Britain asked why the Americans didn't butter their sandwiches. People started talking about butter/peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, butter under mayo, etc.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I'd bet if that becomes a "thing" in the US, the dairy industry will be very happy.

butter under mayo for anything is delish...tuna, turkey etc.

Not such a big fan of butter and peanut butter (long story ) but on toast oh yah.

Butter is yummy...