5 Weeks Post RNY and Hitting the Wall

Options
After losing 33 pounds in about a month when counting the pre-op liquid diet week, I've only lost one pound in the last two weeks. I've been having a lot of problems with nausea ever since surgery and it is very slowly getting better as I make myself aim for three small meals and 2 snacks per day. I have severe TMJ Disease with all of the associated headaches, along with fibromyalgia, and making myself move has been challenging. I was a genuine couch potato before surgery and am trying to get out and walk at least 2x/week, although I haven't been very good about recording that exercise. I topped out at 248 pounds in October 2013 and am down to 214; surgery was 11/5/2013. I know that I'm nowhere near the 1200 calories this site recommends, but are post RNY patients really supposed to have that much already? Isn't "starvation mode" normal in our case? Help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Did your surgeon give you a plan to follow in terms of calories/carbs/protein? That should be your template, not MFP with its one-size-fits-all approach. It is definitely not what is recommended for most wls patients, you should tweak the goals to suit your needs. I don't want to get into exact numbers because of MFP's rules about discussing VLCD.

I am not an RNY patient (I had the sleeve) but my dietician and surgeon stress that you can't expect a steady downward trend in weight. Most people follow a stair step pattern. If you are following the program your surgeon laid out for you, don't worry if you stop losing for a couple of weeks. It will start again.

As for exercise, it's great for your overall health if you can do it, but frankly, it isn't critical for weight loss, especially for wls patients. For maintenance, yes -- so that's another reason to keep pushing on that front, so that you adopt healthy habits that will aid you in maintenance mode.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    do you know that stalls are normal in this process? and that it isn't even a stall if it doesn't last for a few weeks. I think that you're considered a "lightweight" and your loss will be slower. Be patient. Keep doing the right things.