Would eating a whole can of pringles cause weight gain?

Options
There's something like 1000 calories in a whole can of pringles. If you ate a full can in one day, BUT you didn't eat anything else in that day, would that cause weight gain? Technically you would have only consumed 1000 calories.

I'm asking because I did this yesterday and now I'm freaking out. Would it be detrimental to my weight loss if that was all I ate?

Replies

• eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you'd gain weight if you went over your calories for the day, doesn't matter what you eat
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You'd be hungry. 1000 calories - even delicious ones- will not be enough.

The answer? No, you will not gain weight if that's all you eat.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    No, but it would be detrimental to your health if you did it on a regular basis.

It's all about having a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter whether you eat 1000 cals of pringles or 1000 cals of fruit and veg.

Having said that, firstly, you should be eating far more than just 1000 calories a day. Secondly, don't punish yourself for slipping up by not eating for the rest of the day. That is a fast road to failure.
  • JuliMagenta
    JuliMagenta Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe your scale will tell you a "gain" because of the water you might Keep in your Body as pringles have a lot of salt, but actaul fat gain? Probably not.
    But: not healthy, not healthy!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It would certainly be detrimental to your health. Really, is a box of Pringles worth fasting for?

We all fall off the wagon, and no, a 1000 calorie excess is not all that extravagant. Rather than fasting, exercise more to burn more.
  • soozy_q
    soozy_q Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Its funny you mention this as I was hung over the other day. Had not eaten much the day before to compensate for my alcohol calories. Woke up at 8.30am ravenous and had almost a whole tube of pringles. Had barely any calories left for the rest of the day :grumble: Lost weight as I was still at a defecit
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    you'd gain weight if you went over your calories for the day, doesn't matter what you eat

This
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be only eating 1000 calories a day in most cases, even if you did eat a can of pringles. At least a light meal or something later would be good, the chips have fairly little nutritional value compared to a balanced meal. Or eat normally afterwards when you're hungry again and write the day off, it's just one day, you can make up for it later and it won't make you gain any significant weight anyway.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    this thread has made me want pringles....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There's something like 1000 calories in a whole can of pringles. If you ate a full can in one day, BUT you didn't eat anything else in that day, would that cause weight gain? Technically you would have only consumed 1000 calories.

I'm asking because I did this yesterday and now I'm freaking out. Would it be detrimental to my weight loss if that was all I ate?
    The sodium in those Pringles would cause water retention, which would show as weight gain on the scale for a couple days, but you shouldn't gain any other kind of weight.
  • skinnystonergirl
    Options
    not after one day you wont.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Me too. Salt and Vinegar Pringles to be exact.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if we are just talking one day and you maintained your deficit for the week then no it will not..you will more than likely be bloated for a day and then that will go away..

if you eat them every day and go over maintenance then yes, you will gain..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Its funny you mention this as I was hung over the other day. Had not eaten much the day before to compensate for my alcohol calories. Woke up at 8.30am ravenous and had almost a whole tube of pringles. Had barely any calories left for the rest of the day :grumble: Lost weight as I was still at a defecit

sounds healthy...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well, you could have picked a read potato chip and one that tasted good....what a waste of calories.
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest I have to go with the 'it's what you eat everyday not on one day' so therefore if you ate a can of pringles in addition to your normal intake I would say overall it wouldn't cause you to gain weight in the short term. Maybe over the course of a year or so a can of pringles extra a month might cause some negligible weight gain but I doubt it would amount to anything major.
    However if we're only talking weight loss rather than nutritional benefit I'm guessing 1000 calories is underneath your normal intake, unless you have food intolerances it's how much you eat rather than what you eat in my opinion.
    I guess moderation is the key (again) ;)
    Billy x
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    no you wouldn't gain fat if you ate a pack of pringles and nothing else

however the amount of sodium in them might cause a water weight gain

however I wouldn't recommend eating nothing for the rest of the day after unplanned overeating... it's better to just get right back on with the eating plan. A cycle of overeating followed by excessive restriction is something you need to avoid, because the excessive restriction makes it more likely you'll overeat again. Most unplanned overeating and binging is caused by undereating, i.e. you're hungry and your survival instincts take over. Eat properly and avoid that. If you're overeating in spite of eating a healthy, balanced diet that provides you with enough calories, then maybe it's a psychological problem. But for most people it's a survival instinct kicking in caused by eating too little, and the problem is fixed by eating properly and having a sensible calorie goal. So yeah, don't just eat nothing for the rest of the day because you ate a whole pack of pringles.... instead plan your meals properly so you eat properly and you're not fighting against your basic survival instincts.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

^^ This
  • iceflow
    iceflow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No fat gain, but you'll probably be bloated from water weight for 2-3 days
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Me too. Salt and Vinegar Pringles to be exact.

I was good until you mentioned the Salt & Vinegar:sad: