What kind of oil do you use?

Options

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I use different oils depending on what I'm making. Right now in my pantry I have:

Sesame oil
    Sunflower oil
    Olive oil
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I grew up with sunflower oil, so that's what tastes best for me.

That being said, at the moment I have a little bottle of olive oil (not sure where it's from), so I'm using that. I don't use a lot of oil so it'll hold me awhile.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I stay away from all high polyunsaturated refined vegetable oils, haven't consumed them in years. My go to oils and fats are: Extra virgin olive oil, unrefined avocado oil, ghee, butter, duck fat and beef tallow.
  • louisianefille
    louisianefille Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped using olive oil because it is too heavy. I prefer lighter oils, so I use peanut oil and vegetable oil mostly. A bit of butter flavor cooking spray for coating pans. I also use plain old Land O'Lakes spreadable butter.
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    plain old vegtable oil
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ETA: I know a lot of clean eating recipes use coconut oil for the flavor, but it's not really good for you at all. It's almost entirely saturated fat..more so than just about any other oil. (That said, I still have it in my kitchen and use it in moderation)

I respectfully disagree. Coconut oil is fine to use.

I didn't say it wasn't fine to use at all.. I use it too, *in moderation*.

From WebMD:
    "The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence."
    "Pure virgin coconut oil, containing no hydrogenation (the process of adding hydrogen to make a liquid fat hard), contains 92% saturated fat -- the highest amount of saturated fat of any fat."
    "But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats)."
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health
    Nice that they added the olive oil at the end of that recommendation.....Unfortunately the hundreds of millions of indigenous people of the tropics that have been consuming various palm oils for thousands of years without incident are now switching to refine vegetable oils because of misinformation just like this.....hurray.
  • BreakingFreee
    Options
    Hydrogenated oils like soy bean oil and canola oil are bad for you. They are some of the worst offenders today when it come to crap eating. Not only because they are hydrogenated but because most of them if not all are made from GMO crops. I stick with Healthy oils like evvo, coconut oil, butter, ghee, lard, tallow, and avocado oil to name a few. The person that thinks saturated fat is bad for us is just going off of what the government has put into our heads. It's not true. If you want proof do some research. Please don't get me started on margarine... It's pure evil.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    olive oil or coconut oil
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Good olive oil for salads, sauces, pizza crusts, etc.

Plain old vegetable oil for baking or all other cooking.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    we use avocado oil, it can with stand higher heats without breaking down and we stir fry a lot.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil (use virgin on salads and regular for cooking), and grass fed butter. Canola, soy, and peanut oil are really bad for you, especially when heated.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ETA: I know a lot of clean eating recipes use coconut oil for the flavor, but it's not really good for you at all . It's almost entirely saturated fat..more so than just about any other oil. (That said, I still have it in my kitchen and use it in moderation)

From WebMD:
    "The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence."
    "Pure virgin coconut oil, containing no hydrogenation (the process of adding hydrogen to make a liquid fat hard), contains 92% saturated fat -- the highest amount of saturated fat of any fat."
    "But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats)."

Well, but wait there's this too (from Wikipedia because this person writes better than I do):

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid—a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Most of the increase is HDL cholesterol, hence the ratio of total to HDL cholesterol is decreased.[30] A decreased ratio indicates reduced risk for heart disease.[31]

So the jury is still out on whether coconut oil is good for you or bad for you from a heart perspective. You wrote that it isn't good for you -- and I am respectfully disagreeing with your statement.

That's strange, because the article I cited has the opposite to say about lauric acid (and a response to the HDL/LDL studies cited in Wikipedia):
    "Coconut oil has some heart-friendly fatty acids (myristic) but more heart-unfriendly fatty acids (lauric), says Roger Clemens, DrPH, spokesman and incoming president of Institute of Food Technologists and member of the 2010 Dietary Guidelines committee.
    A meta-analysis of 60 studies evaluated the effects of individual fats on risk of coronary artery disease. A few studies looked at coconut oil and found the combination of fatty acids improved the ratio of total cholesterol: HDL (good) cholesterol but they also raised LDL (bad) cholesterol.
    "Saturated fats can increase LDL (bad) cholesterol and even though a few studies showed it may improve the ratio of cholesterol to HDL cholesterol, they also showed an increase in LDL cholesterol and bottom line, any food that increases LDL cholesterol should be limited because LDL cholesterol is the main treatment target for heart disease," Kris Etherton says."

There does still seem to be a lot of debate (especially interesting because both Etherton's and Clemens' recommendations were made well after the meta-analysis was published), so I'm going to do some more reading in the primary lit just for my own information. I'm actually glad that you shared your disagreement - I love grey areas like this. Thanks!

(Also, your nails! :love: )
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Olive oil for some cooking, for salad dressing, and for making mayonnaise. Coconut oil for some other cooking and sometimes in coffee, and every once in a while peanut oil. We also use a TON of butter, and I really want to try avocado oil.

NEVER any other sort of hydrogenated vegetable oils or non-animal shortening like Crisco.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Olive for Mediterranean style cooking
    Grapeseed for stuff I don't want tasting like ^^
    Canola for baking
    A jar of solidified bacon fat for when I'm rewarding myself
    Another jar of solidified duck fat for when I feel like being fancy
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Castrol GTX!

Oops my bad didn't read the post again!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ETA: I know a lot of clean eating recipes use coconut oil for the flavor, but it's not really good for you at all . It's almost entirely saturated fat..more so than just about any other oil. (That said, I still have it in my kitchen and use it in moderation)

From WebMD:

Well, but wait there's this too (from Wikipedia because this person writes better than I do):

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid—a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Most of the increase is HDL cholesterol, hence the ratio of total to HDL cholesterol is decreased.[30] A decreased ratio indicates reduced risk for heart disease.[31]

So the jury is still out on whether coconut oil is good for you or bad for you from a heart perspective. You wrote that it isn't good for you -- and I am respectfully disagreeing with your statement.

That's strange, because the article I cited has the opposite to say about lauric acid (and a response to the HDL/LDL studies cited in Wikipedia):
    "Coconut oil has some heart-friendly fatty acids (myristic) but more heart-unfriendly fatty acids (lauric), says Roger Clemens, DrPH, spokesman and incoming president of Institute of Food Technologists and member of the 2010 Dietary Guidelines committee.
    A meta-analysis of 60 studies evaluated the effects of individual fats on risk of coronary artery disease. A few studies looked at coconut oil and found the combination of fatty acids improved the ratio of total cholesterol: HDL (good) cholesterol but they also raised LDL (bad) cholesterol.
    "Saturated fats can increase LDL (bad) cholesterol and even though a few studies showed it may improve the ratio of cholesterol to HDL cholesterol, they also showed an increase in LDL cholesterol and bottom line, any food that increases LDL cholesterol should be limited because LDL cholesterol is the main treatment target for heart disease," Kris Etherton says."

There does still seem to be a lot of debate (especially interesting because both Etherton's and Clemens' recommendations were made well after the meta-analysis was published), so I'm going to do some more reading in the primary lit just for my own information. I'm actually glad that you shared your disagreement - I love grey areas like this. Thanks!

(Also, your nails! :love: )
    The problem is in the belief that LDL is bad cholesterol, that is a simplistic view and totally fictional. The body produces LDL to deliver cholesterol to all cells in the body and without LDL cholesterol we wouldn't be here. Try researching particle size of LDL and it's influence of CVD and the foods that are associated with these subfractions.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    5W30.

Best to follow the owner's manual.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    5W30.

Best to follow the owner's manual.

What he said
  • taso42