Easy Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hello Myfitnesspals!!

I need some ideas. I have been eating oatmeal for a few years now and to completely honest....I'm very tired of it. I've been eating it because I usually eat at work. We only have a microwave, so it has just been easy to pop it in and eat it up. I need to eat at work because if I don't I'm STARVING by 10am and a little healthy snack doesn't cut it! (believe me, I tried!) Plus I'm never that hungry when I get up and get ready!

Soooooo, if you have any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch!!! :-)
Jenn

Replies

• dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I mix up my oatmeal with a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread. Travels well and is almost as filling.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with 3 TBL Fiber One cereal, 1 TBL slivered almonds, and 1/4 C frozen raspberries.........high protein, high fiber, good fat.....all for around 225 calories
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with 3 TBL Fiber One cereal, 1 TBL slivered almonds, and 1/4 C frozen raspberries.........high protein, high fiber, good fat.....all for around 225 calories

Oh, yeah - I also have 3/4 or 1 cup of regular plain yogurt with some kind of fruit added (no sugar needed). I use whatever is in season. Right now it's mostly apples. In the fall it was apples or pears. In the summer it was peaches or mangoes. All delicious.
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of apples and almond butter in the morning. And watermelon. :D
    If you want to change up the taste of the oatmeal a bit, add some nuts and fruit to it.
    Leftovers are pretty tasty and easy in the morning too.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Have you tried muffin-tin eggs? You make a bunch of eggs mixed with veggies or cheese or meat or whatever, and cook it in muffin tins. grab one on your way out, and heat it up in the microwave. If you google it you'll find a bunch of recipes.
  • hstnljean
    hstnljean Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This sounds good will have to try this. I have some flavored almonds they would be good chopped and add them
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Bacon wrapped in Bread you can't beat it!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Take eggs scrambled with veggies or salsa. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate it until the morning to speed things up. Put those eggs (with cheese if so desired) in a high fiber wrap or english muffin! Better than any fast food breakfast. So many combinations. Add a slice of deli ham or leftover meat scraps.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Make some hard boiled eggs at the beginning of the week. Always good. String cheese. Nothing says it has to be a typical breakfast food either. A good ol PBJ or any sandwich will do. I also usually have a banana in the morning. :bigsmile:
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have you tried muffin-tin eggs? You make a bunch of eggs mixed with veggies or cheese or meat or whatever, and cook it in muffin tins. grab one on your way out, and heat it up in the microwave. If you google it you'll find a bunch of recipes.

I take a small tupperware container and put a raw scrambled egg in the microwave for 30 seconds, (cooks enough to form a shape) then put on a skillet. Perfect size for an english muffin
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options

^^This is what I do also. Very tasty!! I make them on Sunday and I'm good for the week! I add bacon or sausage, peppers, cheese (sometimes) and it's not a calorie killer. I also mix it up and have greek yogurt and mix in 1 TBSP of mini chocolate chips or grab a protein bar. Like you, I eat when I get to work. I'm not hungry when getting ready and don't have time to cook on weekday mornings.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I make egg whites for my week. I literally make 20-30 egg whites scrambled with jalapeno, tomato and onion. I put this in a big bowl and throughout the week I just measure it out and put some shredded mozzarella, salsa, or avocado and take it to work.

I also will make a burrito, or a sandwhich, or whatever with the eggs :) Sometimes I also just make 2 turkey sausage or bacon and just throw it in to the mix and heat it.

Tastes great and I dont have to eat from the vending machine in the am!! :)
  • Shagios
    Shagios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite easy go to on the run breakfast is 2 plain unsalted rice cakes with Alpine Lace Swiss Cheese. Microwave for 15-30 seconds.......so yummy! Throw in a small piece of fruit and we are good to go!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, are you eating instant oatmeal or reheating home cooked heartier stuff like steel-cut oats? I ask becuase for me, instant oatmeal is just not satisfying at all. The Kashi hearty honey/cinnamon is ok but even that will leave me hungry pretty quickly. So now on the weekends I cook up a batch (6 servings) of steel cut oats in the crockpot and I'm set for the week.

I also cook up a breakfast casserole. Scarmble up 10 eggs, add 6 oz pkg reduced fat feta crumbles, 4 oz pkg turkey pepperoni minis (or ham or canadian bacon or turkey bacon or real bacon or sausage, etc), 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and very well drained/squeezed). Mix that all together well, pour it into a greased (or sprayed) 9x13" pan, cook on 350 for about 20-25 min and you've got breakfast to go for 6 days. With the turkey pepperoni, 260 calories per serving.

As others have mentioned, you could always mix up some yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc. All good stuff. Think outside the box a little, have your lunch for breakfast and breakfast for lunch. Most days I have my oatmeal for snack. Enjoy!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When I have coffee with heavy cream, it keeps me going til way past lunch without being hungry.....ah, the wonderful satiety power of fats!
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla with one tablespoon of peanut butter, a banana, and a tablespoon or two of chopped pecans. Roll it up in the tortilla and enjoy!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    on monday lunch i walk to trader joes and get food for breakfast, lunch and snacks and keep it in a bag in our work fridge. my favorite breakfast is an open faced sandwich :1 slice of udi's gluten free bread + 1-2 ounces smoked salmon + 1 slice low cal havarti cheese+ spinach+sliced cucumbers

and some fresh strawberries, blueberries or kumquats

all together it's around 400 calories and i'm not hungry again until lunch around 1 pm
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Take an organic or pastured egg and separate the white from the yolk with your fingers. Place the yolk in half cup of cream. Add a little sweetener. Shake well. Drink. It tastes amazing.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats. I make a big pot once a week and then put it into 2 serving containers so I can just grab and go. You can add plenty to it for flavoing nuts,fruits sugar and or brown sugar and cinnemaon I like to mix mine with yogurt so I get carbs and protein. Ive never ordered from this site but take a look http://www.myoatmeal.com/. Can order plenty of differenty varieties also can buy Muesli heres a link for bobs red mill http://www.bobsredmill.com/old-country-style-muesli.html?&cat=9. Just some different variations.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Scrambling an egg or two, toasting an English muffin, and spreading on some cheese or whatever takes about five minutes total and it's always delicious.