Losing Weight when Lifting Heavy

Options
2»

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'm not losing anything. And I've actually gained some back. But my clothes fit better, and I definitely have less body fat. So I don't care as much about the scale.
  • reneekise
    reneekise Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :bigsmile:
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Never heard the scales shout 'your fat' at me...but the mirror did. Hint right there...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, you stopped lifting heavy and started losing muscular hypertrophy and thus, weight. Unless I am gravely mistaken, it isn't very surprising.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you weren't really watching your diet while lifting, but have just recently began to do so and that is when you really started losing weight, right? This isn't surprising at all. Weight loss comes from eating less, not the type of workout you do.

Losing weight is all about calorie deficit, and the only thing that makes losing weight while lifting heavy harder is that you tend to do so at a smaller deficit to help preserve muscle mass. Also, lifting burns less calories than cardio, so if you're eating the same amount each day and doing lifting, you will have a smaller deficit than if you were doing cardio every day (assuming you aren't eating back exercise calories). But eating at a 500 calorie deficit from your TDEE while lifting should provide pretty close to the same rate of loss as eating 500 calories under TDEE and doing cardio or nothing. Just remember that the faster you lose weight, the more muscle you are losing along with the fat.