Training for a Century

Options
I have my first Century coming up in February. My longest ride as of yet is 60 miles. I was wondering who all have done a Century and how did you go about planning and preparing for your first one? I have the route layout and was thinking of driving it just to see what lies ahead.

What did you bring with you? What did you expect the SAG stops to supply?

On all of your training rides, the ones for distance, did you guys eat and drink just as you plan to on the day of the Century? How many days a week did you ride? I figure at least 1 day of speed training, 1 day of pace speed and 1 day of distance ride would be a minimal.

This Century will see 40-50deg weather at start and top out at 75-85deg weather. A total elevation change of 3,000ft. So pretty flat.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    FYI - there a groups for century riders and those aspiring to ride a century...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3781-century-plus-cycling

My first one was this June but I did it unsupported on my hybrid.
    Training was a period of endurance training (low heart rate training) in the early Spring and then one high intensity session, one LISS session of cardio (not just cycling - rower and elliptical too) plus one long ride a week. I built the long rides up by roughly 10% each time until I got to 80 miles. Then it was just a case of believing if you can do 80 you can do 100.

I worked out a nutrition plan for training rides and foolishly changed it on the day of the big ride... Too much breakfast left me thirsty and sluggish for the first 30 miles. So stick to your plan!

Travelled as light as possible but one tip a good cyclist gave me was to carry caffeine tablets for those last few miles when there's nothing left in the tank.

PS - good quality shorts and chamois cream are essential. :wink:
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I did not know about the Century Group.

Ya, I agree with the shorts and cream. Big time important. lol

I was planning on getting to a distance of 75-80 miles and then the rest like you said, believing I can do it.

The caffeine tablets are a great idea. Did you have any issue with cramping at all?

Thanks Again. :drinker:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did you have any issue with cramping at all?

I was fine as regards cramp - drank a 50/50 isotonic drink / water ratio and probably over-hydrated a little.

Only issue was fatigue after a particulalrly rough 15 miles of crappy roads. Could have chosen my route better!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

My first one was this June but I did it unsupported on my hybrid.

Show off :tongue:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Time in the saddle is the best training there is. I like the idea of driving the route but I also like not knowing what to expect. A century can get pretty boring, so new scenery is always nice. If it's a good supported ride, all of the rest stops should have protein and water stations. I recommend taking advantage of all of it. Hopefully, they will also have a gear check for you when you don't need your cooler weather gear. I would look into that. It sure is nice not to have to carry that stuff with you.

Good luck and have fun!

ETA: I strongly suggest having a really good recovery drink ready for the end. I love Hammer Recoverite.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the ride is organized. Find out what mile markers the stops are at and what kind of food/water they will have at the stops. This will help you know what to carry with you. If its cool in the morning, you might need some gloves and jacket or arm warmers.

I would get closer to 80 or 90 miles in training rides if you can before the event. Otherwise just keep with the 60 mile rides.

When I ride a century, I don't think of the whole thing. I just work on getting to the next aid station. Don't burn yourself out in the first half. Take it steady.

Have fun.
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ya it seems to be a very well organized event. There will be 5 stops, so that breaks it up pretty good. Getting from stop to stop sounds like a good way to attack it.

They say they will have water, gels and sandwich makings. Don't know at what stops they will all be at. I know they will also have chase cars running the route to aid in any mechanical issues.

I do have gloves and arm warmers. With the possibility of rain (as in past events) that will be an added fun challenge.

Thanks for the input.