When do you "officially" record your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning and record it every time I hit a new low. Yes, it fluctuates and often goes back up after I've recorded the new weight, but I just keep at it and wait until it goes down again.
  • overcominglazy
    overcominglazy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really recommend not weighing yourself more than once a day, even for curiosity's sake. There's no point to it and all it will make you do is fixate on a number that doesn't matter.

Yes, you will be more dehydrated in the morning than during the day, but the point of weighing in the morning is to reduce variables that could change your weight such as food. Technically, you could decide to weigh yourself every day after breakfast (if what you ate for breakfast was pretty consistent) and you would have the same resulting downward trend. It's up to you but obviously, keeping your breakfast the same is more difficult than just weighing on an empty stomach.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    As long as the general trend is going in the right direction, that's all that matters to me.

QFT.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking it. Just pick a time of day and weigh yourself. Use that same time of day from then on. You're "official" weight is largely meaningless if you're weighing yourself multiple times each day. Like someone said, it's the trend more than the number itself.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I record in the morning every wednesday
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record it every single morning whether I'm up or down. I don't do this in an obsessive way, literally once a day and don't get back on later to see if it went lower. It works for me because it's taught me to stop being afraid of the scale and to realize just how normal (and often) weight fluctuations happen; they're numbers that is all. I can see the overall trend and not panic if I've 'gained'.
  • psychdlc
    psychdlc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale at LEAST once a day, first thing in the morning, naked. I only log it when it goes down.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Naked, first thing on Monday mornings after waking up and using the restroom. I've also been recording the 5's "Fisher_Man_Matt has logged on xxx days in a row". Gains, losses, it doesn't matter. Just keep an eye on the trends. I also record my results in an Excel spreadsheet. It's a good visual reminder of my progress (in blue) verses my goal (in red). The graph below is a bit dated.

536172115c64c4d9afaeed3188dd7b22_zps1a30a1ec.jpg
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily (first thing, naked) and log it every day on Libra to make the cool charts. I only record new lows on MFP.

libra4.jpg
  • I weigh myself every morning first thing, after I've been to the toilet.
  • bunnyhawk
    bunnyhawk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wait until whenever my trainer wants to weigh me at the gym..usually once a week. I sneak in a personal weigh in at work once or twice during the week..but I do not officially record any weigh in but what my trainer gets.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    After I actually believe that I've lost weight, ha ha. Usually after the scale says the same thing for a few days.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Wednesday mornings as soon as I get up. I used to weigh myself every day multiple times a day and drove myself crazy. It's all about the average as you have discovered it does fluctuate throughout the day and week. As long as you see progress that's all that matters.
  • swampgeek
    swampgeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning after relieving myself and prior to any water or supplement intake. The daily fluctuation of the weight is no issue, lets me judge how my choices in both food, water and workout impacted. The one warning I have about this is when starting a new strength training regimen you will pack on water weight. If you are the type that is easily demotivated stay away from the scale for about 2 weeks.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Once a week at my TOPS meeting (taking off pounds sensibly) in the early evening around 6 :00 pm, fully clothed. However, as many have already stated here, scales are not always the truest means of tracking one's progress and to become fixated on some number on a scale every day is just crazy imho.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see my new low :)

HA! This is totally what I do! I weigh in every day, but only record new lows, same with the rest of my measurements. I know the scale is going to bounce around all week, so I just don't worry about it.

Of course, I haven't HAD a new low in over a month :angry: stupid heavy lifting :grumble:

Don't hurt me! I know it's normal, and I'm accepting it, but I can still grumble about it....
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually Wednesday morning before coffee. Sometimes I'll climb on another day if I'm curious about the sodium impact of something, like takeout food, but I don't count that.

I only record upward ticks if I get over 5 lbs difference, as I did over the summer (8 lbs! Aie!)

I don't 'count' weigh ins at the doctor or the gym as those add anywhere from 4-8 lbs of clothing and whatnot and are usually later in the day after I've eaten drunk and been moving. (Yes, up to eight pounds. I live in Canada. Wool socks, longjohns, jeans, thermal long sleeve, sweater... winter gear when the ambient temperature is -46C before wind chill is heavy.)

Your mileage may vary,

=Betty=
  • I like that :) once a month is also ideal for me
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I weigh often, because I'm one of those people who has to be on top of everything. Naked, before breakfast.
    I log it when I reach a new low (hate those fluctuations).
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and record it every day on a separate app, and I record it here after a week of consistent results. I like to see the ups/downs that come from different food choices, and it has been fun to discover how much water my muscles retain after a murderous workout (roughly 3lbs) and how I can have one 3000+ calorie day a week without having to worry, but if I have two I will gain about 2lbs that week.