Lifting on Consecutive Days

Options
Hey,
I have 4 workouts left on stage 2 of nrol4w and want to get them all done before sat as on sat morning I go to my folks for Christmas with no gym nearby. Do you think it would be OK to do the 4 workouts Sun-Fri, it would mean doing two of them on consecutive days to get them done.

Thanks guys

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Depends on how well you are recovered. A young, mid-20s person who is in shape can lift on multiple days in a row if they wanted to...although there really is no need to I don't think. In most cases you should give your body a day off after a heavy workout. Again, it really goes back to how well recovered you are.
  • StarflowerST
    StarflowerST Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think as a one time deal it wouldn't hurt, but you don't want to get into that habit because your muscles take something like 48-72 hours to repair after tearing, which is what lifting does to your muscles.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Lifting consecutive days is entirely possible, but programs centered around that style of lifting are generally designed specifically for that purpose. Long story short, the big thing about doing it this way is that you can't rely on set/rep schemes that are pre-determined if you are using the same muscle group on consecutive days. You have to feel it out as you warm up and work up to your working weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Looking at the layout for Stage 2, I'd say no.

You'll be doing squats (variations of them, anyway) every day and a deadlift on at least one of those days. That will almost definitely be too much, as you likely won't be able to recover to properly do your workouts.
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^that's not how i remember S2, but it's been a while since I read NROL. squats every day for 4 days?
  • TR0berts
    Options
    2 workouts on Stage 2, alternated - front squats to push press, step-ups, and elevated static lunges on workout A; Bulgarian split squats, reverse lunges, and wide-grip deficit deadlifts on workout B. Plus various upper body work. But it's all the lower body stuff that would likely be the real problem(s).

I have it here for my wife, so I just looked it up to make sure. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Looking at the layout for Stage 2, I'd say no.

You'll be doing squats (variations of them, anyway) every day and a deadlift on at least one of those days. That will almost definitely be too much, as you likely won't be able to recover to properly do your workouts.
    Meh- Smolov has you squat something stupid like 3 days back to back to back.

I've done it- it won't kill you.

Don't expect to see massive gains- but it's not the end of the world.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I still think she'll be ok. the main thing for me is that she's not working out for two weeks after so while recovery might be an issue on Monday and Thursday she'll have a ton of time to get over it. but really, since she's not working out again for the next two weeks or so it's not a huge deal if she stays on her regular routine and just misses the last day of it.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I've squatted and pressed to max singles every day for the last 5 days. You'll live.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Consecutive days once in a while is probably just fine. The important thing is not to do consecutive days... forever. In other words, make sure you have rest days.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I've squatted and pressed to max singles every day for the last 5 days. You'll live.

But how do you know your condition isn't terminal?
  • Huffdogg
    Options

But how do you know your condition isn't terminal?

LOL fair enough!
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :flowerforyou:

It's not something I do or would even want to do on a regular basis. I just really want to finish this programme before I go to where I've no gym access for two weeks. Think I'' just go for it. It's just two days consecutive, see how it goes.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Holy cr@p, I just re-read the OP. For some reason, I thought you were trying to fit your 4 workouts in 3 days - Fri-Sun. And I thought that seemed like overkill. But Sun-Fri = 6 days.

I'd like to change my opinion to: fine for a one-off 2 days in a row.

Sorry about that!

:embarassed: :ohwell:
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Did my two consecutive lifting days yesterday and the day before and am definitely more sore than usual, but not too bad. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it though! Last day of stage 2 of NROL4W tomorrow :smile: