Who are you in a race with?

Options
A few months ago I joined an outdoor fitness camp here in Dallas. They have over 140 camp locations in the DFW area. Every now and then I'll go to another location that is not my regular location. Today my trainer from my location joined me in this camp. I kept wondering why was I always the last one to be done. I know I'm fat and out of shape, but dang, am I really that slow??? Even my trainer was still half way the workout while some were already finished with the first round. My trainer is in top notch shape, so I know something wierd was up. One thing I noticed is that some of these people speed through thier reps and finish in no time. They speed through it with bad or improper form. Some don't even finish thier reps. Example, we have to do 12 chest to ground burpees followed with 12 mountain climbers.....the girl infront of me only did 4 burpees then jumped right into mountain climbers and only completed like 5 or so. My trainer told me not worry about the next person, he'd rather I do 10 good squats than 20 bad squats. You are only cheating yourself when you half fast do the movement.
I maybe slow but at least I complete my reps and do them all in proper form. Just wondering why zoom through these movements, who are you in competition with, what's the point in waking up at 5am to not work those muscles out correctly???

Replies

• raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Some people think as long as they are in the gym they are getting the benefit and want to get out as quick as possible. They are burning "some" calories even if done in incorrect form but the camp should setup Spartan Race rules whereas if you can't complete part of the course in proper form, that's fine ... you just have to drop and give 30 burpees. I don't get it either but they are only cheating themselves. I always figured as long as I do what I am supposed to in proper form, regardless of how long it takes, I did it and can be proud of accomplishing it. Good for you for doing it right!!!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are in a race with them.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Father time, that impatient SOB!!! And I try to only worry about the things I can control : ):wink:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Trainer was right. Only worry about yourself.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are only cheating themselves and you should follow your trainers advice. Your workout is your workout. I go to a lot of group classes and they are competitive. They do make me push myself but I am only in competition with myself. There are also things that come easier to me naturally where others struggle with the same drill and excel at things I don't.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm only in competition with myself. I'm always talking to myself, " alright, last round you only got 8 burpees in, this round get to 9!"
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

agreed.

but to answer the OP, i think some people do things improperly 1) because they dont realize they are arent doing them correctly or b) they know they are incorrect but the correct way hurts too much.

anyway, the most imprtant take away is that your trainer kinda sucks. why is he allowing all these people to have bad form in his class? is he more interested in taking the money and running than actually giving proper training?
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

agreed.

but to answer the OP, i think some people do things improperly 1) because they dont realize they are arent doing them correctly or b) they know they are incorrect but the correct way hurts too much.

anyway, the most imprtant take away is that your trainer kinda sucks. why is he allowing all these people to have bad form in his class? is he more interested in taking the money and running than actually giving proper training?
    Na, even if I did try to be in a race with them, they are half my size, they'd still kick my butt. This camp location is not his camp, he went with me as a camper ( to get in his workout). The camp is lead by two other trainers.