Change comes from...

Options
snowsflake
snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
within YOU! I always thought that if I changed my outside that it would change the way I felt inside, and no matter how small or large I was, the way I felt inside NEVER changed! I was still sad, miserable, depressed and BEYOND insecure! And the only thing that would make me "happy" was food! Say what?! Yep, food. It had become my silent BFF that I would run to everytime something happened - good news, bad news, celebrations, grief and then for no reason at all I would eat. I was overtaken by this obession of a certain food (usually pizza) and that one food was the ONLY thing that would satifsy my "hunger". Then it would be followed by tons of shame and guilt about what I just ate, because I was not hungry, I had just eaten right before I decided to devour that entire large pizza. The tears would come and I would become more and more miserable - and the weight started piling on and on and on! WHY ME?! Why was I destined to be stuck in an overweight body for the rest of my life? Why wouldn't I get to experience the joys of being a thin healthy person? WAIT A MINUTE?! When I was a thin healthy person I felt exactly the same way that I felt when I was overweight, except NOW I had something to blame my misery on...my weight!

Oh when I lose weight I will go on that trip. Oh when I lose weight I will get a boyfriend. Oh when I lose weight I will get another job...oh when I lose, when I lose weight, when I lose weight...! I was always weighting (pun intended) to lose weight for my life to begin, and the reality of it all is that the world was continuing on without me. People were still going on trips, finding love, getting another job...and there I was...the "living dead" waiting for something to happen. Why yes Liz, if you sit on this couch and continue to eat everything in site and not move you will get your wish of being a thin, healthy person...WRONG! I could not wish my weight loss to happen anymore than I could wish all of the other things to happen.

But what did happen was that I finally realized that I had to TAKE ACTION in order to make the changes in my life that I so longed for. And they started from the inside out. I had to work through a lot of things in my past that were holding me back from my full potential. I stopped blaming people about me being overweight and accepted the responsiblity that I ALONE put all of that food in my mouth. I ALONE chose not to workout and I ALONE chose to stay stagnate. And with that being said I ALONE chose to CHANGE MY LIFE ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

I stopped holding so much guilt and shame over an eating binge or eating something that was considered a bad food. I kept working on myself on the inside, constantly looking for new ways to deal with my feelings instead of eating, and it has worked - the power of prayer, journaling and exercising are amazing. And with that I have managed to change my insides which in turned changed my outside. I am now a direct reflection on the outside of how I feel on the inside. And today I do not cringe when I walk past a mirror, I look at myself and smile, because I love the person that is staring back at me...

Replies

• KateLoughnane
    KateLoughnane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! You are an inspiration!
  • LittleBitz
    Options
    Great story! Your before and after pictures look INCREDIBLE!
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Great story - all so true - your photo's are inspiring - thanks. The thing about feeling guilty when you slip off plan is so true. For myself I allow at least one 200 cal special treat weekly and a big one once a month. Then when I feel tempted I ask myself if I really want to spend my treat right now or save it for another day. When the choice is now or later in the week or the end of the month the little demon in my left ear is outwitted! He's dumb!! I haven't had my monthly special (Chip shop fish and chips) for 3 months now.
    j
  • NoelleLou
    Options
    What an AMAZING story Liz.. It makes me hopeful! And inspired! TY for sharing!! :flowerforyou:
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post. You are absolutely right, and you are inspiring so many of us by what you have done and by what you are still doing. God bless you.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    WOW amazing! Congratulations! I just recently started journaling and I'm really enjoying it. I even got a fancy looking journal so I wouldn't have the excuse that I didn't have a journal! It's so fantastic and inspiring that you've found other ways to deal with your feelings than eat. That is so important as so many people are overweight due to emotional eating. You are a true testament that something as simple as finding a new way to deal with emotions can be the key to losing weight. Thank you!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Amen sister...I made the same choice that you did. My life has been turned-upside down for since March and I decided the only thing that I can control right now is what I put in my mouth, if I'm going to exercise, prayer, Bible reading, and how I can change the way I feel. I have to say that each day is a journey, but making the decision to stop eating too much and start exercising has been easier than I thought possible!!!
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We all deserve the right to be happy...we just have to believe that we deserve it! Change comes from within! I just take it all one day at a time, because that is all that we have. So today I choose to not overeat or give up on myself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!