Technogym

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how accurate the calories from the weight lifting machines (technogym) are accurate. I focus on most weight lifting at the moment because I feel it gives me a good workout and when my muscles ache when healing I feel better about what I've done plus the thought of doing more cardio puts me off exercise. I do think that I should stick to this because it's the best way for me to do exercise and enjoy it. The only problem is when it comes to entering my calories into MFP I put it the calories that the technogym machine tells me but is that accurate enough. I'm trying not to eat them all back just to be sure but I'd just like some opinions.

Thanks,

Laura

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    It would be hard to say. Generally I wouldn't trust the calorie readout on an exercise machine. It probably doesn't burn as much as cardio, but that usually isn't the goal with weights.

I suppose you could start with entering them as they appear on the machine. If after time your weight loss isn't following your expectations based on net calories, you could enter them as some percentage of what appears on the machine. Basically it is guesswork anyway.

I am also not a huge fan of cardio. I have a goal of getting stronger and putting on some weight, so I focus mostly on free weights. Weights are fun and rewarding.
  • I trust my HRM and my HRM only...There are very affordable models on the market and being able to see how my body responds to the exercise I am doing is definately worth the money!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Technogym make a wide range of equipment - are you talking about the computerised ones where you set the resistance and ROM with one rep and then repeat for ten reps?

If so, then I guess as the machine measures the force you apply it could be reasonably accurate.
    Whether it is in practise is anyone's guess!

BTW - HRMs are designed for steady state cardio and will be wildly inaccurate for most forms of weight training.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone! That's been helpful!