Is this normal???

Options
Is it normal to feel depressed while dieting? Sometimes I look at some of the things around me..that I cant deprive my children of so still have in the home, knowing that I can probably eat these things but also knowing that it might be a mistake to eat them. I find myself getting depressed or in the very least..aggravated by it! I have to add that when I was in High School I got down to a size 0 and had Anorexia. Do you think that maybe its the same thoughts that I had back then? Its really hard for me to fight off the thoughts of guilt about eating! I would love to eat more but when I do I have this overwhelming guilt because I know I have lost weight by eating better and eating less, so would you call this depression or would you call it will power to eat right? Should I see a dietician or something?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I would actually suggest seeing a therapist. A dietician can tell you what's healthy to eat and all that, but depression and other mental issues would certainly be more up the alley of a counselor. I would suggest looking for someone who doesn't just throw pills at people, do some research, talk to your doc about a referral and that should certainly help you get on the right track :)
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would say its a depression thing. I wonder if it would help to let yourself have just a little bit of whatever it is so that you don't feel deprived but you also don't feel guilty for falling off the bandwagon. I have found myself in that same position many times and though its not always easy to only eat a little bit of something I have found it gets easier and easier. Remember its not about being on a diet its about making a lifestyle change and if there's something that you feel you can't deprive the kids of but it makes you crabby to not have and feeling way guilty for having maybe you should ask yourself if your kids really need it and if its worth having in the house.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to feel depressed while dieting? Sometimes I look at some of the things around me..that I cant deprive my children of so still have in the home, knowing that I can probably eat these things but also knowing that it might be a mistake to eat them. I find myself getting depressed or in the very least..aggravated by it! I have to add that when I was in High School I got down to a size 0 and had Anorexia. Do you think that maybe its the same thoughts that I had back then? Its really hard for me to fight off the thoughts of guilt about eating! I would love to eat more but when I do I have this overwhelming guilt because I know I have lost weight by eating better and eating less, so would you call this depression or would you call it will power to eat right? Should I see a dietician or something?
    Seeing a dietician would be a good start. :) They could set up your daily cal, protein, carb, fat etc. goals for your body and that might be exactly what you need.

Not sure I understand how taking away unhealthy food from your household is depriving your children?? It's actually setting a wonderful new example of what healthy eating can be. String cheese, fruit, frozen grapes, healthy yogurts, nuts (portion them out) etc. are great snacks that kids enjoy, they just need them not to compete with cheetos, poptarts and oreos all in the house at the same time.

For you to have success in getting healthy and continuing a healthy lifestyle for life, getting the junk food completley out of your household for everyone is the only way it truly will work Hon! Kids sure don't need to eat like that, ask most anyone here on the site that's grown up fat and is now struggling to take off 50+ lbs because their parents thought they 'needed' treats in the cupboards.

It's a new way of looking at food, for both you and your household. Don't know their ages but the younger they are, the easier it will be but even older kids learn to love fruit and raw veggies and whatever you have prepared and available in a a bowl or in the fridge THEY WILL learn to enjoy when they see you doing the same.

Good luck! Do it for you and do it for the kiddo's:drinker:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are struggling like this. It may be a combination of depression and will power but sounds like more of the former. If it persists I think you maybe should seek professional help as learning to deal with and manage your thoughts now will be much more beneficial to you in the future.

Well done for making the decision to lose weight in the right way though. Just remember that we're all here to support in as much as as we can. :flowerforyou:
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know about being normal but when I started this quest to lose weight, I too felt that way. However, it's fairly common. I realized, that everything in moderation is fine. I do not want to eat garbage food. It took a while for my body to except it but now when I see brownies or cookies, I think to myself, I'd rather have a new pair of jeans in a size 8 .. and then grab a piece of fruit or some nuts.
    You being an anorexic is kind of like being an alcoholic.. once you are then your like a recovering anorexic.. you always have the tendancy to go back or possiblity to go back. I am a sugar alcoholic or a recovering one in my book because once I start I can't stop. So I just choose not to eat it. It has gotten easier over time..
  • sjdjnd20
    sjdjnd20 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Its nice to know there are people here to support me! In the past I have found myself struggling with the urge to take diet pills, but then I had thoughts like "This wont work, it will all come back on once you stop taking them." I have had my addictions with water pills and laxatives as well..that of course all came when I had the anorexia, but I had recently started doing them again, but have stopped again. I am thankful to find this program, especially with the forums because it helps me fight the urge to take water pills and laxatives and starve my self because I see other peoples success stories and how they did it without all of that stuff! Thanks everyone!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest a therapist. What you are going through can be normal to weight loss. It takes time to not look at food and long for it, I also struggle with guilt but am getting better! However if you are still going back and forth with items you previously had issues with (laxatives and waterpills) it might be helpfull to go to someone. There is nothing wrong with asking for help and a therapist who has training can help you determine your thought processes and how they may trigger your behavior. Once youv had a bad habit (anoraxi, alcholism ect) you have to find new ways of avoiding going back to the habit your whole life. You are doing great keep up the good work and dont be to hard on yourself. It is ok to live and indulge a little as long as you dont let it take over!!!