NROLFW

Options
Thought i'd try :happy:

It has been recommended to me several times and I would love to start reading and using it. Just wondering if someone has the book and is done using it. Maybe it's gathering dust and you would like to pass it along to someone who needs one :blushing:

Feel free to PM me.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Check with your local public library. if they don't have a copy on their shelves, they may be able to request it from another library in the area. You'll have at least a couple of weeks to give it a whirl and then purchase if you like it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i did it and IMO it gets ridiculously complicated after stage 2. it was almost to the point where i think it was easier to build a time machine, and join the knights of the round table in their search for the holy grail than to set up and goal tend all the equipment and space in the gym i needed to do the workout.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Check with your local public library. if they don't have a copy on their shelves, they may be able to request it from another library in the area. You'll have at least a couple of weeks to give it a whirl and then purchase if you like it.

This is what I was going to say. Try the library
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    i did it and IMO it gets ridiculously complicated after stage 2. it was almost to the point where i think it was easier to build a time machine, and join the knights of the round table in their search for the holy grail than to set up and goal tend all the equipment and space in the gym i needed to do the workout.

^^ This. But I have a copy that you're welcome to if you want it and can't find it at your local library.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Lol, my local library is a joke, i don't even think they have a shelf full of health related books.

I am planning on ordering it after the holidays when I have extra money. Was just thinking if someone had one they weren't using it would kinda be like recycling and I could get started before the "Resolutioners" hit my gym lol.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Another vote for this.
    It is a good book to read but the program side of it gets very complicated.
    And at my gym, I would've spent half of my workout going from one side of the gym to the other to follow a modified version of the program since the gym didn't have all of the equipment required by the program. And your gym might not either.

I would look into Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
    Some of my friends have done Jamie Eason programs, Strong Curves from Brett Contreas (I think that's his name), AllPro, Nia Shanks' programs.
    I believe all of those are online somewhere
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    As luck would have it, I'm going to the post office this weekend to mail my sister some Utz Potato Chips. She lives in TX and can't get them there, so I'm sending them as payment for some awesome nummy pumpkin bread she sent me this week. If you want, I could drop it in the mail to you. I wouldn't recommend giving strangers over the internet your home address, so if you have a PO Box or some other 3rd party address that can accept packages for you, I can send it your way.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options

Another vote for this.
    It is a good book to read but the program side of it gets very complicated.
    And at my gym, I would've spent half of my workout going from one side of the gym to the other to follow a modified version of the program since the gym didn't have all of the equipment required by the program. And your gym might not either.

I would look into Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
    Some of my friends have done Jamie Eason programs, Strong Curves from Brett Contreas (I think that's his name), AllPro, Nia Shanks' programs.
    I believe all of those are online somewhere

Yeah, Stronglifts 5x5 is actually a pretty great program - and waaaaay easier to follow than NROLFW...IMO
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The exercise program at the very end of the book is kind of convoluted, but it's still good and better tailored to someone who likes variety.

Don't confuse the exercise program with the rest of the book though. If you never read the program, the rest of the book still applies and is a very good/important read for a newcomer.

Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5, great beginner program, and about as simple and fundamental as it gets. Start light, like, with the bar.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the info.

I was mainly wanting the book to learn how to begin lifting. I want to make sure I know what I am doing and that I am doing things with proper form. I am really just intimidated when it comes to free weights. I have watched tons on youtube videos but when I actually get to the gym I get so nervous and panic. I end up doing machines. I know machines aren't going to give me the results I want in the long run.

I will look into the other programs and see what i find. Thanks again :)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you have a kindle I may be able to share my copy with you. I am currently on Stage 2, and LOVE IT! I just watch youtube on how moves should be properly preformed, a couple of times before I head to the gym. The hardest part for me was being brave enough to get out there on the floor for the first workout. I took my hubby for a confidence boost. I am glad I am doing the program, and the homework to do it right.

There is a pretty good NROL4W group on here that I joined too. We all are happy to help one another out on the path to completing the program.