Healthy Holiday Potluck Ideas?

Options
lillivewire87
lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
Ok people...I know we all have holiday potlucks coming up...while I have a couple healthy standby options to take with me I want some new ideas. Especially since these are holiday potlucks and as such, deserve something a little more special than the good ol' standby.

Please share your ideas!

Here is what I usually take as my contribution:

Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili

Ingredients

1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
3 Onions chopped
4 Cloves of garlic, chopped
1 Red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 Green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 14.5 oz cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes
4 15 oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
3 Tablespoons Chili powder
2 Tablespoons Cumin
1 Tablespoon Dried oregano
2 Pounds Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes (I totally cheat and buy the pre-cubed...that stuff is HARD!)
Salt and pepper

Step One

Put it all in the slow-cooker

Step Two

Mix well.

Step Three

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, season with salt and pepper...so good.

Replies

• daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I saw this recipe on SkinnyTaste (great site if you've never used it) and this was a pasta dish I tried and loved - it's different and seasonal and the pumpkin adds a nice flavor. Bake it in a casserole dish and it would be great for a potluck. Here's the link:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cheesy-baked-pumpkin-pasta.html#more
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How about some type of chicken and rice dish in the crock pot?

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchicken/r/71c4.htm

I made something like this but decided to add some cumin to give it a bit more flavor.

Edit : You could up the chicken amount and add some veggies. When you serve yourself make sure you get less rice and more chicken and veggie.
  • Clm81401
    Options
    A wonderfull side any time of the year that is always a hit is "Tabbouleh". Bulgar wheat salad, it's easy to make and people just forget that they love the stuff.
  • sbrophy1990
    Options
    I love that you posted this because I was scambling to think of something to bring, too! Maybe a veggie Christmas tree with dip??

Tabbouleh is my go-to pot luck dish! Such great flavor and extremely simple to make.