weightwatchers opinions please

Options
I did weight watchers like 10 years ago and it was the point system and it worked well for me. I like the support of the meetings. Well, they changed their point system a few years back where it was so confusing for me that I could not follow it (just too hard to figure out points values). I joined MFP and love it but not losing at the rate I want and also miss the meetings. Has anybody done WW recently and know if the plan has gotten any easier or more flexible. For a while they had free fruits/veggies and the points values were just confusing....and I read a lot of people were not losing very well compared to the old points value plan (this was when it first came out two years ago). Just wondering if they have worked the kinks out. Opinions please. Thanks.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Never heard of such a bigger rip off in my life. Charge more for smaller portions and hide it under a pro points mask of falseness.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Never heard of such a bigger rip off in my life. Charge more for smaller portions and hide it under a pro points mask of falseness.

Have to agree that ww isnt a lifestyle IMO its a quick fix as it cuts your cals but isnt sustainable longterm,
    have you looked at the nutritional info on the side of the boxes some of the fat is double the daily allowance
    and the sugar can be huge, but again only my opinion,

do what you feel is right for you
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers like 10 years ago and it was the point system and it worked well for me. I like the support of the meetings. Well, they changed their point system a few years back where it was so confusing for me that I could not follow it (just too hard to figure out points values). I joined MFP and love it but not losing at the rate I want and also miss the meetings. Has anybody done WW recently and know if the plan has gotten any easier or more flexible. For a while they had free fruits/veggies and the points values were just confusing....and I read a lot of people were not losing very well compared to the old points value plan (this was when it first came out two years ago). Just wondering if they have worked the kinks out. Opinions please. Thanks.
    I tried weight watchers it does not work for me at all. Why/ because it gives me a license to eat junk food and waste all my points. However it works for my mom, aunt, cousins even grandma I suppose. Anyway I switched to low carbs its working for me. I hope it works for you again.
  • crashtech
    crashtech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you embrace the conventional wisdom that low fat, high carb diets are healthy, and that somewhat severe calorie restriction is a healthy way to lose weight, then WW is for you. You don't HAVE to eat WW branded food to participate. Last I knew, they had guides with many popular foods that indicated the points value, it was not too hard to look things up.

But the wisdom of the conventional approach is being challenged from many quarters, perhaps most notably by Gary Taubes. It's worth it to research the long-term success rate of WW participants, as well as alternative approaches.

The great thing about MFP is the flexibility of being able to set your own goals based on what you determine your own needs to be, yet support still exists on the forum.

I personally will never try something like the WW approach again. While I lost more weight with it than any other method, looking back, I know I developed some health issues due to the long-term semi-starvation and lack of fat soluble vitamins in my diet. And then, like most others, I gained it all back, "with friends."
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I tried it recently. It is still "free" fruits and veggies, which is ok for most veggies but I still think you should count fruit. The points are calculated based on fat/carbs/fiber/protein, which to me is better than the old calories/fat/fiber because this way a chicken breast and a snickers is not the same number of points. Does that make sense?

For me, I didn't do the meetings so MFP and WW online is about the same. I enjoy the friends I have made and the support I get on MFP.

Good luck to you!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Have to agree that ww isnt a lifestyle IMO its a quick fix as it cuts your cals but isnt sustainable longterm,
    have you looked at the nutritional info on the side of the boxes some of the fat is double the daily allowance
    and the sugar can be huge, but again only my opinion,

do what you feel is right for you

weight watchers allows you to eat anything you want. Its not just boxed food from the program. Of course they have snacks and stuff you can buy...but that would be the members choice, its not a requirement.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    WW and MFP are, at heart, quite similar. The biggest difference is that with MFP, you have to do all your own tracking, calculating and support.

For some that's better, for others, it makes it more challenging.

Do what works best for YOU! :smile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you embrace the conventional wisdom that low fat, high carb diets are healthy, and that somewhat severe calorie restriction is a healthy way to lose weight, then WW is for you.
    WW is not at all into severe calorie restriction these days. The plan out the last 3-4 years has most people eating over 1800 calories a day. They did used to regularly have people eating in the 1000-1200 range, though.

It actually encourages less 'eating junk' than a calorie counting plan. Foods high in fiber and lower in fat have fewer points than say a fatty or alcoholic or sugary food with the same calories.

If you found it hard a couple years ago, you probably still would. I don't find points hard at all but I'm a quant. You can buy a WW calculator and the math is done for you. Or Etools. The math is simpler than calorie counting, for the most part. You're never counting above 40 or so.

I've never bought a thing from them, as far as items or foods. I did pay for meetings for 9 months or so, lost 50 lbs. and made 'lifetime member'. Now when I do it I just do it myself with a spreadsheet, when the urge hits. It was a great education.
  • caminoslo
    Options
    If you embrace the conventional wisdom that low fat, high carb diets are healthy, and that somewhat severe calorie restriction is a healthy way to lose weight, then WW is for you. You don't HAVE to eat WW branded food to participate. Last I knew, they had guides with many popular foods that indicated the points value, it was not too hard to look things up.

But the wisdom of the conventional approach is being challenged from many quarters, perhaps most notably by Gary Taubes. It's worth it to research the long-term success rate of WW participants, as well as alternative approaches.

The great thing about MFP is the flexibility of being able to set your own goals based on what you determine your own needs to be, yet support still exists on the forum.

I personally will never try something like the WW approach again. While I lost more weight with it than any other method, looking back, I know I developed some health issues due to the long-term semi-starvation and lack of fat soluble vitamins in my diet. And then, like most others, I gained it all back, "with friends."
    Gary Taubes is a brilliant man he definately makes sense of nonsense "diets"
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My niece has lost 50lb with Weight Watchers so it worked for her. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't really educate you about healthy eating and the calorie content of food, wrapping it all up in magic "pro points", so you are bound to them for ever. If you enjoy the social aspect or feel that it helps to go to meetings and have the support of the group leader then go for it! This whole weight loss journey comes down to whatever works best for you!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When I tried weight watchers many years ago - I gained weight on it ! lol I guess I am just not good with math and couldn`t count lol

Unlimited fruit?? on top of all your other meals ? It can`t possibly work ! If I recall right, I think I put on 10 lbs in 1 month !
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs. on unlimited produce, including fruit, including bananas, avocados, potatoes, even oatmeal! Lean protein was unlimited, too! So were some whole grains! I learned about healthy eating not magic points. I graduated and eat fine on my own now.

Taubes has largely been discredited. He may have some valid points but as a writer in his field, he's more known for being a sensationalist than for accurate quoting of his sources and analysis of the data. His education is in physics and journalism. He's famous for writing the 'What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?' NYT newspaper article about the low carb / low fat debate, and he turned that fame into book deals.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that overall, WW is decent. They're essentially tricking you into counting calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,649 Member
    Options
    I think that overall, WW is decent. They're essentially tricking you into counting calories.

This is exactly it. It really bugs me when people say WW is bad because it gives you license to eat junk food. So does counting calories. Nobody's forcing you to buy only healthy food when tallying up those calories just like nobody's forcing you to buy the food sold at the WW meetings (or in the store).

I lost 90 lbs on WW. I never went to a meeting or tracked online. The only thing I should have done differently is educate myself on bmr and tdee and check my actual calories every once in a while instead of just counting points.ESPECIALLY because of the free fruits. I agree. Those definitely shouldn't be free foods.
  • caminoslo
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs. on unlimited produce, including fruit, including bananas, avocados, potatoes, even oatmeal! Lean protein was unlimited, too! So were some whole grains! I learned about healthy eating not magic points. I graduated and eat fine on my own now.

Taubes has largely been discredited. He may have some valid points but as a writer in his field, he's more known for being a sensationalist than for accurate quoting of his sources and analysis of the data. His education is in physics and journalism. He's famous for writing the 'What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?' NYT newspaper article about the low carb / low fat debate, and he turned that fame into book deals.
    My education is broadcast journalism and psychology. I see how it works behind the sceneces both politically, and behind the camera.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree about the fruits. NOt counting fruits is ridiculous, because you can eat a lot of calories that way.
    I just think the points makes everything very confusing. It's so much easier to just count calories and you don't have to depend on someone else (WW) to tell you what to eat. You can do it yourself. Plus their meal plans have too little fresh veg and lean protein, too much junk, and too much processed foods. I do like some of the recipes in their magazine though.
  • crashtech
    crashtech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Taubes has largely been discredited.
    "Discredited" might largely have to do with to whom one wishes to give credit, however, I would love to see who is discrediting Gary Taubes, and to determine for myself if they have a "dog in the fight." so to speak. Kindly post some sources, if you have them
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, counting WW points or counting calories in pretty much the same. It depends what you decide to eat with thoses points/calories.... The one thing I don`t agree with WW is the fact that fruits are ``free food``. They can add up to a lot of calories if you eat a lot.....
  • caminoslo
    Options
    You know my cousin is very very very skinny teeny tiny. Its because shes on a strict diet, not a fad diet. She cannot eat any dairy products i see her eat like a bird. shes got to do that for the rest of her life its a lifestyle though... Just like me I need to be on low carbs, otherwise ill have some big consequences to pay for... These could be known as fad diets however they are what we have to do to survive in our bodies.
    What it boils down to is what i said, you do what is good for you you are the one who has to live in your own body not anyone else. What I do isn't necessarily good for the rest of the population. and if it were a new trend im sure most would fail.
    Let me say this as a child I was always very tiny and skinny, and I believe its because I was without knowng it on a low carb diet, I always wasnt interested in eating. When I got into junior high i picked up on other peoples bad habits of eating crap and I slowly gained weight by the time i was a junior in high school i was a fat or carbohydrate walking around. So I ran cross country and eat well it took me a long time to lose weight and bam I started having a medical issue i started gaining weight AGAIN!!! then i moved to europe lost some weight, moved back to America gained it back and I hated being american i just couldn't put my finger on it why are americans so vunerable to get fat? Why did i lose weight in europe even when i was bed ridden cause i broke my foot??? IT DAWNED ON ME!!!!!!!!!!! I was eating less carbs and also walking everywhere which made up for the carbs that i did eat, which made me lose weight in 9 months in italy.. Yes the pizza I used for my walking. Now I come back here I throw out all those carbs only get them from veggies, fruits and homemade bread and im back to where i was in 5 weeks which took me to accomplish while in europe for 9 months.
    And I was bed ridden of course lost weight probably caause I didnt eat much! hahaha
  • wickedeponine
    Options
    The trick to WW is not to eat the packaged meals or endorsed products but use the points system to eat fresh, unprocessed foods. Often I found a better option to the WW endorsed products. For example, a WW muesli bar is 3 or 4 points but a Crunchy Uncle Toby's muesli bar is 2 points (and cheaper). WW taught me better meal options and is sustainable because from day 1, I cooked for myself and understood using 6 points for a mars bar did more damage than using 6 points on a bowl of porridge. I had a friend on WW who would eat fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch so she could spend all her daily points on a treats like chocolate and pizza. Surprisingly, while we were both keeping within our points allocation, I was more successful. Like any diet though, the fact you are thinking about food all day can make you hungry and sometimes cause a binge.