Yoga for weight loss

Options
Running helped me lose weight a few years ago but it hurts so much to run now. Been wanting to do yoga to lose weight. Has anyone have a success with yoga? I stumbled upon doyogawithme.com

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness (or in this case, yoga for flexibility). Weight loss is dependent on a calorie deficit.
  • bleumuffin
    Options
    In my opinion, I don't think you should solely focus your exercise routine on yoga. Don't get me wrong, I love yoga and practice it regularly but you should include something else in your routine. You say running hurts, how about walking/swimming/pilates/strength training/etc? Yoga and any of these activities combined will give anyone a sexy body(oh and feeling great too, sure.)
  • YogaFitnessGuru
    Options
    Practicing yoga enables all parts of the body to perform various movements and hence, weight loss is guaranteed with yoga postures.You can also visit about yoga for weight loss http://yogafitnessguru.com/.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Depends what type of yoga. Jillian michaels has a yoga inferno video that combines cardio with yoga for strength and balance. My husband did it with a hrm and burned 250 calories in about 25 minutes. Not too bad considering he half assed a lot of it because of a hurt back. I definitely feel like I've gotten a good workout at the end of it. Something like that could help a deficit if it is all you can do right now. But the bulk of your deficit will still come from your diet.
  • duffypratt
    Options
    There are asana practices which will burn calories, and I think that's what you are asking about. Power yoga, Bikram, and Ashtanga can all be fairly intense.

In a broader sense, the practice of mindfulness can be extremely helpful in readjusting your eating habits. Take a look at http://www.amazon.com/The-Yoga-Eating-Transcending-Nourish-ebook/dp/B001YQF0Z4/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1. For example.