Ketogenic diet

Options
13»

Replies

• tonyyano
    tonyyano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Blood work - cholesterol, and A1c results. Ever since I've been on the ketogenic diet, I was concerned over the possible cholesterol effect, after all I am eating close to 60-80% fat, and fairly liberal on saturated fats. I got the test results back for cholesterol results (1st time since I've been on keto) and they are the lowest it ever been, a good 20 points lower than my five year average, both HDL and LDL an A1C are improved, go figure
  • mathewvarughese
    Options
    i add coconut oil to everything. its a medium chain fatty acid and helps bring flavor to whatever i'm eating... i put it in my coffee too
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tonyyano
    tonyyano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet - two things to watch for Carb Levels and Salt/Magnesium - I've been on keto for almost a year, analyzing stats, and there are two things I wrestle with all the time and once controlled it's pretty smooth sailing.

First, Carb level in grams need to be under 50 grams per day otherwise your in no man's land (in the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" Volek and Phinney point out under 50 carb grams for most people are making substantial level of ketones" they also note the following quote "The other concern with easing into a low carb diet is that once you are eating less than the 150 carbs needed to feed your brain with glucose, but still more than 50 gram threshold below which ketosis is dependably operating, your brain's fuel supply becomes pretty tenuous." I constantly snag on this one and when I stall I drop the carbs.

Second, salt/magnesium, Once I constantly got under 50 carb grams a day, I then snag on the next one. In the same book "Low carbohydrate diets increase the loss of sodium and water by kidneys . Failure to adequately replace sodium adversely affects potassium balance and has several negative effects (fatigue). Most muscle cramps are due to magnesium depletion in cells." I have used a variety of remedies for this one bone broth is the best, but I found it takes time to make. Bouillon cubes work but, I got tired of those. My current remedy is just using "Saltstick' caps with water, very easy and works great.

These are my two constant battles, the remedy seems almost too easy once I finally figured it out, and now it's smoother sailing.