Can't weight bare on L knee. ?spin class be too much?

Options
I have to stay off my left knee - mustn't weight bare.
I am considering hydrotherapy/aqua aerobics but not that thrilled with the water - swimming comes last in the likely to do list.
Would a spin (cycling) class be too much work for it? (my knee) I have got to see an ortho about a bulging meniscus -
I'm thinking it probably might but was wondering what else I might consider?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would err on the side of caution
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe you might think about asking the ortho since he'll be the one who knows what your problem is.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I would guess yes
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    If you want to injure yourself more then by all means, take a spin class.

But if you want to make sure that you don't hurt your knee worse then please wait until you see your doctor and talk to them about what you should or should not do.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Do some chair exercises - sit ups - till you find out how bad your knee really is.
  • Lucylaser
    Lucylaser Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you want to injure yourself more then by all means, take a spin class.

But if you want to make sure that you don't hurt your knee worse then please wait until you see your doctor and talk to them about what you should or should not do.

I agree. Spinning can be rough on the knees. Especially if you are not using enough resistance or too much and standing out of the saddle. I had knee tendinitis and spinning definitely made it worse. I took a break from my normal class until it healed.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I thought the spin might be stupid but hoped somehow it wouldn't.
    Can't see the doctor for sometime so will just rest it.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yeah resting it is best. You may look into pilates or yoga & modify the poses. Great way to tone up.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend Spinning. While it might not seem as much knee work, there is a lot more than you realize. Definitely would not recommend in fear of injuring it further. Aqua workouts aren't too bad - they're not the best but they are a good option. Especially deep water running. Put on a flotation belt and go for it. It's pretty awesome. I did it for a year when recovering from an ACL injury.