Would I lose fat walking an hour a day?

Options
I really struggle to find time to exercise because I work a full time job and am exhausted by the time I get home every night. However, I figure if I walk to work every day instead of driving that would be a good way of getting some exercise. It's about half an hour there and back, so I'd be getting an hour's walk each day.

I'm already watching my calories/diet. So f I walked an hour a day at a brisk pace, would I lose fat? and how quickly would I probably start to see results?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Usually if you ADD any exercise, as long as you don't use it as an excuse to overeat, then you should lose fat. A little is better than nothing. Just try to increase your speed a little each day, so maybe time it & try to do it a minute faster each day. As far as how quickly you'll see results, that depends a lot on how overweight you are. But I think you should start FEELING better fairly quickly.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You sound like me about 4 months ago when I started. Any movemement burns calories. So, short answer is yes. Realistic answer--you won't burn as much as you think. Long answer--when you walk you will need to get your hearrate up, so you will need to walk at a fast pace. It typically takes me about 10-15 min to get my heart rate up, so if I were to do just 30 min I wouldn't burn that many calories. Dont be discouraged. Trust me--walking a little builds to walking and exercising a lot. All movement burns calories.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to find time to exercise because I work a full time job and am exhausted by the time I get home every night. However, I figure if I walk to work every day instead of driving that would be a good way of getting some exercise. It's about half an hour there and back, so I'd be getting an hour's walk each day.

I'm already watching my calories/diet. So f I walked an hour a day at a brisk pace, would I lose fat? and how quickly would I probably start to see results?

In April I started walking to work instead of taking the car and have lost 43 pounds. I also walk to stores since they're near my house. Go for it! Walking has raised the whole quality of my life.

Also, adding that I just walk at a normal pace (actually, I walk slowly because my elderly dog walks to work with me). Exercise is exercise. Add it in wherever you can.