a few q's...

Options
for those of you that have maintained for a while, i have a few q's. I have maintained my weight for a year now and this whole past year my goal was to maintain my weight but still lose a bit of body fat. Well i was doing a good job of that but i was getting so stressed logging everything and needing a break from it. I felt like i need to learn to do this on my own, so i gave up logging in sept. I have done ok with it, i gained 2 lbs but that is it and i am steady at this 2 lbs up weight, which i am fine with BUT my body fat is up a bit..... SO needless to say i did not hit this years goal to lose body fat, if anything i stayed the same this year as last year now. So when it comes to exercise, if you can't do your normal 5 days a week, what would you make sure you do, DO when you exercise... strength or cardio or more endurance type of exercises? I currently do CLX ( chalean extreme) 3 days a week and then it's my other 2 days that are hit and miss, i switch between t25, or clx cardio dvd's currently. is this what is making the difference, that i am not getting in as much cardio as i need to keep my body fat down or do you really think it's the fact of learning to maintain on my own? I always get my 3 days of strength in no matter what but it's my 2 cardio days that are hit and miss..... I am trying to find a happy medium accepting where i am and where i want to be.... just confused....

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're doing great.

Would it make sense, since you're focused on body composition and health, to make sure you do SOME workout every day? That way you can do whatever your more time consuming, intense workout as often as you can, but something religiously every day? For me, that makes it more likely I keep at it.

I recommend these two:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/ (the scientific 7 minute workout - do it anywhere) and
    this one:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Then do whatever else you love.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think you should add some strength training or circuit training. Muscle burns more calories at rest, so it is beneficial to increase muscle mass. You can lift weights, do body weight exercises, or do circuit training programs like RI 30, gradually increasing the weights.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think you should add some strength training or circuit training. Muscle burns more calories at rest, so it is beneficial to increase muscle mass. You can lift weights, do body weight exercises, or do circuit training programs like RI 30, gradually increasing the weights.

Don't disagree with most of your post but muscles actually burn very few calories at rest so while additional lean mass is good it won't make a significant calorie burning difference compared to being slightly more active.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx everyone. seems like more are saying i should do more strength or circuit training then just cardio on those other 2 days if i can get it in... i do like the idea of trying to get something in daily if i can but i normally only have 30-45 min max a day to exercise as it is... so any program i do, is within that time frame now as it is... some weeks i can get in my 3 strength no prob but it's the other few days that arn't guaranteed even though it's not a huge amount of time that i need to get in... so i will try my best to get in more and if i can get in more then the 3 days, i will still focus on more strength then cardio. currently i was doing 3 days clx and 2 days t25...